17: Save Our Girl

Start from the beginning

"Show me the video."

His voice is stern, but Romanoff could've sworn it was strained. Of course, she knew of the connection you had with him, but she never truly saw  how you affected him until now. Knowing James for so long, she knew he was made of steel, emotionless. But now, she saw the switch flip in his heart. She saw his pain, yet couldn't help him. Not that he would accept anyone else's pity.

"Are you sure?" Her voice is weary as the others step forward to watch the footage too.

"TURN ON THE DAMN VIDEO!"

The sound of his yell makes the whole room shake. She goes still and takes a deep breath before tapping the screen. The sound of your weak, strained voice fills the room.

"Barnes... Romanoff... Rogers... Parker... I'm alive. For now. The Don has promised me no harm as long as you come. The Don won't hurt you, nor will he punish you for your acts only if you come to the Westside Warehouse in West Adams Street, Chicago at eleven tonight..."

A pause. James watches as you turn your head around, sniffling back the tears. It's not the first time he's seen you cry since you opened up to him. He knows what the Don did to you, everything you told him about, and it aches him to see you like this. You cry out in agony, and his body goes still. His whole world goes still. A single tear falls from his cheek, which he quickly swipes away to conceal his pain. A few shaky breaths go by before you read the last of what's on the card.

"P-Please s-save me."

Beep. The room goes silent as everybody stares blankly at the phone, shocked at what they just saw. James takes a few heavy breaths before picking up his Maven leather jacket and storming out, forcing the others to follow behind him.

"Barnes. Barnes, wait!" Rogers grabs his arm and pulls him back before he speeds away to Chicago, "We're coming too."

"It's the Westside Warehouse in West Adams Street." Romanoff shakes her head from the passenger's seat, "What was she even doing in Chicago?"

"Running away." Parker answers, "She was running from us."

Before anyone can say anything else, James growls low in his throat, indicating his fury.

That asshole. He's going to get what's coming for him. I'll make sure of it...

"Barnes. You need me to take the wheel?" Rogers asks calmly, trying not to piss him off more. He shakes his head in response through gritted teeth.

"Okay. We'll make a deal and get her back."

James grips the wheel so tightly that his knuckles go white. His voice is low as he cements the rage fueling inside him.

"Fuck deals. I'm gonna kill him."

Back in the warehouse, the Don and his group of idiots, as you like to think of them, prepare for the group's arrival. Your heart pounds in distress as you feel the hours pass by. The Don paces back and forth in front of you, making you go crazy.

"C-Can you please stop moving?" You whimper, afraid of annoying him.

He stops abruptly and strides towards you, making your breath hitch. In one move, he smacks his rough hand down across your face, making you wince at the sting, "Don't you EVER give me orders, understand?"

You turn your head to the side, sniffling the tears away yet again. He violently grips your chin and spins your head back to face him, making you cry out in pain and horror, "ANSWER ME!"

You manage to get the words out through whimpers and sniffles, "Y-Yes..."

"Good. Now keep quiet, I'm not done with you just yet."

"W-What? P-Please don't hurt me anymore-"

"QUIET! I've waited for over a year to find you, princess. Do you really think I'm going to let you go just like that?" The sarcasm in his voice makes you shiver at what he has planned. But nothing could prepare you for what he says next, "Tell me, darling... How fast do you think Barnes is rushing to find you?"

You freeze. How did he know? Was he just testing you, or did he really know about what happened between you both?

"W-What do you mean..." Your voice trails off and he shakes his head.

"Darling. I thought you knew me better by now. You were at my  fundraiser, remember? Didn't you know I'd have eyes all over you? Watching your every move?"

He speaks slowly, making you suffer more with each spoken word. You go speechless, unable to form words.

"Although, I must say. I found it quite entertaining when you ran away mid-dance. My men and I thought it was very  dramatic of you, Alexandra."

Time seems to slow even more now, and you silently pray for James to hurry. You close your eyes, imagining him speeding past every red light, swerving past each car and dodging every traffic cop to get to you.

And that's exactly what he's doing. It would usually take at least twelve hours to get from New York to Chicago by car, but with James' driving, he got past the border in three.

"Right here, then left at the end of the road!" Romanoff shouts out directions as fast as she can, accommodating to James' reckless driving.

"Load 'em up!" Rogers throws boxes of bullets to everyone and passes a jackknife to Romanoff, knowing she'll end up using it at some point. "You might need this."

She winks, feeling the adrenaline rushing through her veins. Never in a million years did she imagine she'd fight her boss, but she was never one to say no to a combat mission.

"Parker, you all loaded up?"

He nods, "Brought a backup too."

"And you, Rogers?"

"Way ahead of you, Romanoff."

"Good. Five minutes, guys. Mission: Save our girl."