Training - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Why would I do something like that?" He hissed with a scowl.

"I can help you."

"I do not need help. Besides, you just said you had not faced one before, you will die." He scoffed.

"Then I die." She shrugged. "Though yes, you would not need help, I want to be at the same level as you at least." He was right, she need not assist him to kill a rathtar, but the opportunities to test her skills and to see what he could do... she had to hope he would find it entertaining.

"Why would you need to gain as much power if not to kill me?" His glowing eyes narrowed under the darkness of his hood.

"No!" She gasped, standing suddenly, shocked at the idea he could think she had even thought of it. Just as fast, she dropped to one knee before him. "Never to harm you, sire, only to protect you! I would serve you...!" She didn't know where the words had come from, but they were the truth. They had sworn they would have no masters, yet, she would gladly serve him if it meant she could protect him from the monster that had poisoned his mind. The Zabrak stood, looking down at her with a tension about him, but she dared not raise her head.

"Take it off." He hissed in a low tone. She froze in place, the edge in his voice had her fearful. There was a tense silence for a moment. "The hood. Take it off, and look at me." He growled and Zaiya felt compelled to obey. She slowly raised her hands, leaning back to push the dark fabric away, letting it fall as she looked up to meet his gaze.

-)O(-

That was a mistake. He should not have asked this of her. His eyes widened slightly the second they met hers. He was frozen in place for a moment. It was as though time itself stopped. How was that possible? These eyes of hers, blue and deep like oceans and yet so familiar. The brief glimpse he had seen before was clearly not enough, she had eyes that seemed to be endless and deeper than the vastness of space. He should not have asked, he should have just ignored her request and left. Instead, he had wanted to see her eyes, to prove to himself she was not lying.

If she was lying it was impossible to tell. He could feel her emotions, anxiety, anger, hope, fear and... something else he wasn't sure of the name for swirled around the Force in her. She... wanted to be worthy. He was sure he read that in her. He knew the feeling too well. Was this what he looked like to his master? Was this the way he seemed? Desperate and eager? Surely not. Yet... he could not hate this. He'd not had anyone vy for his attention before. To be so respected and... she wanted to be around him. She didn't want him to be alone. It was... it was intoxicating. He tore his gaze from hers, his hearts were racing.

The temptation of having his own assassin just as his Master had him. It would increase his power, he might even be able to... no... he was already restless, his master's plan was not ready to be enacted yet. He felt strange... How did he know those eyes? They looked into him more than any eyes he had ever seen. He was unnerved, off guard and unsure. He had not been so confused before. She still looked at him like that. What she saw in him, he didn't know but...

"Fine. When next I go, I shall take you with me." He muttered, finally turning away completely. The strange feeling was too much, he was unable to keep looking at her. The anger stemming from his confusion again rose and he found himself having to depart, leaving her there as he always did.

Any moment looking into those endless pools and-- he didn't know what he would have done. But he didn't want to find out. He flipped back and forth about this girl. She was dangerous. She was not. She clearly had no intention to harm him that he could tell, but everytime he returned was a risk. He lingered too long. He spoke too much. It was a relief in a way, to have someone willing to listen when he did speak. She watched him when he spoke, she did not tell him to be silent, did not punish him if he said the wrong thing. --but of course she wouldn't! She was not his Master! She had no power over him! No, he was not so weak to be swayed by some witch.

It was a strange cycle. He found himself here in her presence, the split between his training and that feeling of something missing driving him to distraction and rage, he returned to his master, to train hard and expel the feeling. His mind returned to it's singular devotion to sith and the revenge he so desired. Then time passed, and that feeling of absence, the curiosity, the urge to return to answer more questions. Even then, he was not even sure how much he wanted to know.

Part of him wanted to stay. Ask her question after question, eat more of that spicy meat she brought with her. Let the burn coat his tongue as he listened to her sing. So... domestic. Was that what normal people did? Enjoy meals and songs with no ambition for more? He was not some pathetic fool that would be satisfied with that.

Though, that music was something else. So rare that he heard any music. There were places that played broadcasts from their shops. Or clubs that blasted bassy sounds from within, but this was different. It felt like more than a simple song. Was it just her power? Didn't she say she was called Siren? Perhaps he should look her up, learn more. Though... What if his Master discovered his searches? Did he really want to know so much about her? Perhaps it was only fair, considering how much she knew about him. If there was anything to find, TD-66 would find it.

-)O(-

Zaiya watched him go with a mix of excitement and sadness. Why had he stared at her for so long? Was he planning on killing her? For her insolent request? Did he hate looking at her eyes? That was silly, he was surely not so petty... Perhaps there was something he had to see? He was looking for a lie perhaps. She could only assume that he had seen the truth in her, as he had agreed.

She was glad to know more of his time here, and to hear he was able to fight Rathtars! She could not help but be impressed. Her own exercises were lacking these days, though since she had put in so much time to the clinic, even increasing the efficiency, she supposed she would become a nurse soon. From there, money would be less troublesome. Now she had made that part of her cover easier, she was free to focus on other things. Once she learned where his hunting grounds were, she would be able to find her own way there, purchasing her own small ship; she was not the child that had left Dathomir now. She was older, stronger and wiser. She was old enough to look after herself now, and she had to stand on her own feet. If she could take down a rathtar, then she should be able to defend herself against nearly anything! She was ready! She just had to show him how strong she had become!

-)O(-

[There are no records.] TD-66 reported in it's usual bored tone.

"Impossible." the Zabrak spat back, reaching for his datapad. There had to be something.

[There is one unofficial profile, though there are no identifiers other than gender, and known associates.] TD-66 added, the profile popping up on the data pad. The droid was right. There were no pictures, only stated that The Siren was a female and had been seen in the companies of various Pirates and bounty hunters. The only other identifying factor was that she had a strong voice. Having heard her sing... he understood now what it meant. For a short time he had forgotten everything that plagued his mind and he just felt... calm. It was a relief and yet... it was not the way of the Sith! He was meant to use his anger and hate to become powerful. Was she trying to undermine him?! Though... then he remembered the way she looked at him.

[Who is this Siren?] TD-66 asked. Maul swore under his breath.

"Someone I encountered recently, it's of little importance." He covered and put the datapad down swiftly, it skidded away from him along the nearby table.

[Is this why your heart rate has increased?]

"No." the zabrak snapped a little too quickly. "...they are a possible ally-- someone I can use to gain further power. Nothing more."

[I see.]

"Run the training program."