XII

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

Emily looks at her nightstand where her buzzing phone sat, before looking back at the wall. Her heart felt heavy as tears continued rolled down her face. She hugged her knees as she sat on the floor, her head leaned up against the wall.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

She didn't have the urge to pick it up. She didn't have the urge to do anything.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

Another month has passed by, but it's been 3 days since she hasn't come into work. Everything had been alright the previous month, more cases, more team bondings, drinking, etc.

But a certain night left Emily feeling like this.

"JJ, that's not the point," Emily complains. It was a Saturday night and the ladies were out. JJ and Emily picked up coffee together before finding Garcia.

JJ rolls her eyes. "Well, are you gonna call him?"

The two were talking about their most recent case, and one of the policeman flirted with Emily during their time there. Lucky for her, she knew exactly how far to take it.

"No, I'm not interested in anyone right now," Emily continues to walk down the street.

"But you said that you were dating which means you could have options!"

Emily chuckles. "Yeah no."

"Alright you know what, I don't even get you sometimes," JJ shrugs before taking a sip of her coffee.

"It wouldn't go anywhere," Emily insisted.

"You don't know that."

The two begin to go back and forth.

Emily motions with her coffee. "I know our work schedules."

"Okay you know what," JJ replies. "Will and I make it work."

They make eye contact with Garcia who's walking up to them, with a ton of shopping bags. "Oh no."

"I know, I know, don't say it. But when you see what's in here... and it's not my fault," Penelope begins. "They were calling to me, I swear. And they were all on sale! And when you think about it, that means I'm helping the economy which is more than I can say for you guys 'cus no one else..."

JJ chuckles. "Yeah, please don't tell me all of those are for my son."

"They're not," Garcia smiles proudly. But she holds up one small black bag. "This one's for my Chocolate Thunder."

JJ and Emily laugh as Garcia tries to explain herself. "What! It is my duty as a fairy godmother to spoil the child and Henry's finally old enough to be fun with opening presents. I am not taking them back..."

As Penelope continues to talk, Emily's attention moves to a certain masculine figure across the street. He looked familiar.

It couldn't be.

But was it?

As soon as she blinked, the figure was gone and nowhere to be seen.

"Emily?" Garcia waves her hand in front of her face. "My coffee?"

"I — um yeah. Um half caf, extra shot, venti, two pumps, non-fat, hold the whip, caramel macchiato," Emily stutters. "I um have to go."

"But it's ladies night!" Penelope pouts.