VI

"Hey, you missed the party two nights ago."

Emily turns around to see Penelope and JJ walking up to her desk. When she came in, no one was here except Hotch in his closed office. She had checked her watch, but she was on time. Now realizing, they were all in Penelope's lair.

"I know, some things came up. Tell Hotch I'm sorry."

"Emily, we all know," JJ says, walking up to her. "The topic slipped when he was telling Rossi."

She groans. "So you know that he questioned my ability to be an agent?"

"And it was wrong of him to do so in the first place. The whole teams know that, even him," Penelope comforts. "He mentioned that he apologized."

Emily shakes her head. "Yeah, he did. But what he said, affected me. Just because he has shit going on doesn't mean he needs to take it out on me. I, too, am a workaholic and I know damn well, I'm a good agent."

"We all know that Princess," Derek says, coming up from behind the ladies. "What's gonna happen now between you and Hotch?"

She shrugs. "Nothing really. I'm just here to do my job. A job that comes with some really good friends."

The team smiles before all turning towards the door. Haley enters the room. But instead of going straight to her husband's office, she heads straight for the group, huddled around a sitting Emily.

"Excuse me, I'd like to speak with Agent Prentiss," Haley smiles.

Emily looks at the team for guidance but they all simply give her a shrug. She gives in and the two walk a couple feet away from the group. They don't notice that Hotch realizes that they're talking.

"Mrs. Hotchner, if this is about me not attending your celebration, I meant no harm. Things came up and I had to—"

"No no. Don't be sorry," Haley reassures her. "I'm not sure if you know but I know that there has been a situation regarding you and my husband."

Well shit.

"I just want to say I'm sorry, on behalf of him. And myself as well. Things haven't been going well in our personal lives, but that gives him no right to release all his anger on you," Haley sighs. "It wasn't right of him to do what he did. You're here because you're good, and if my husband doesn't see that, he must be blind."

The ladies chuckle. And for the team, they try to occupy themselves by fidgeting with their office supplies on their desks.

"But I do want to invite you to lunch later this afternoon!"

Emily grins. "I — um sure. I'd really love to but then I have to ask Hotch, if I'm able to leave."

Haley smiles. "Leave it to me."

She walks up to Hotch's office and knocks before entering, leaving Emily at the bottom. The team gives Emily some weird looks, as if that was the weirdest thing that has happened here?

"Come in," Hotch says, looking up. "Haley."

"I'm taking Emily out for lunch, and don't argue with me about this."

He nods. "I was going to say yes anyways."

"I'll see you at home?" She asks, before walking out. "We still need to talk."

"Mhm."

A couple hours pass by and the ladies finally have lunch. They decide to walk a couple blocks down to a nice coffee shop, that also sells food. The two are seated outside, cars and people pass by. And the weather was just perfect.