Chapter LI

Jack's head spun around so fast he felt that there was some whiplash.

"W...h...a...t?" He stretched the word out, staring at her hard, "Okay, fine. So you know who I am. Big deal. Maybe I'm a bad winter spirit." He wiggled his fingers.

"Oh, really?" She scoffed as if the idea was the stupidest thing she'd ever heard, "Jack Frost in this town is a hero." She bit her lip, and suddenly looked shy. She rocked on her soles, and looked anywhere at him, "And...well, I never knew my grandparents...they died...young...but maybe...It'd be nice to get to know...okay, please don't freak out...my great, great, great-grandfather?"

The way she winced before there was any response from Jack pretty much told him she was expecting him to flip out. But he didn't...because wasn't this what he was here to find? Family? Perhaps the hug went a little to far, because when he let her go, she looked absolutely frozen on the stop.

"Ah-ha!" Jack clapped his hands, "Anna! You look a bit like Anna! Duh."

"Wait?" She breathed, "Is that all it's going to take for you to believe me?" She sounded shocked. Jack blinked, realizing his error, and then became tense.

"Do I have a reason not to? Are you lying to me?" He asked, barring his teeth.

"Well, no.."

"Then never-mind. You seem like a very trustworthy girl..." He trailed off, realizing they had never properly introduced themselves.

"Lila. Lila Frost." She supplied. Jack grinned.

"What a beautiful name, Lila."

"Are you joining me for dinner, then?" Lila asked hopefully.

"Yes...I think I'll stay." Jack said nodding and closing the door, "What are you making?"

"Oh, something simple. Probably just Mac and Cheese." She laughed, turning red, "It's not fancy but I wasn't expecting anyone."

"Mac and Cheese?" He asked, frowning, "What's that?"

"Well...it's noodles...and cheese." She shrugged, "Simple. It's really good."

"I think I'll have to try this Cheesy Mac to decide myself." Jack said with an air of royalty, and he realized it was a tone that he had not used in quite some time. Lila giggled beneath her hand, and her eyes sparkled.

"Okay, Jack...is it alright if I just call you that? Or should I call you Gramps?"

Jack winced, looking at his seeming age, "Jack is fine."

It seemed there would not be enough questions to fill the time that they had to eat together. Jack had 100 years worth of things to be filled in on. She was quite ready and willing to answer his questions.

"Are you the most direct line?" He asked first. She smiled a bit.

"Yes. My mom was the daughter of the last king, who was the son of Sarafina, who was the daughter of Heimdall, and of course he was your son."

"But you don't live in the castle. Your'e not an heir. Did you get thrown out?"

"No." Lila shrugged, "Times change. We don't have kings and queens anymore. Not since we formally merged with Norway. We have a representative, and my family members often get voted on. My mom is the head of the committee actually, that's where she is now."

"I miss the castle. It was awesome to live in." Jack sighed.

"Well it's still open now. As a museum."

"Oh." Jack frowned. That wasn't what he thought it was going to be like. Lila explained the brief history of the merging with Norway, and how it wasn't exactly by choice and how her grandfather died of the loss of the throne soon after. Her grandmother died of cancer. She served two bowls of mushy orange stuff, and Jack looked at it curiously.