Chapter XIX

"Well, you've done it this time." Elsa came in and hit Jack on the shoulder.

"Ow!" He complained.

"I'm pregnant again." She threw her hands up. Jack coughed into his hand.

"Well..." He winced, "It was becoming obvious. The food...the slight, very SLIGHT, weight..." He was dying here, he realized.

"The doctor says I'm about 4 months in. This one is smaller than the others, which is why I didn't notice sooner." Elsa licked her lips in thought, and counted on her fingers, "Which means you hardly let me have more than two months of not carrying another one of your spawn around!" She hissed.

"You wanted more." Jack poked her arm, "And If I remember I wasn't the one clawing at my back, pulling me down against my better judgement, just begging me to fu-,"

"That's enough of that." Elsa began to blush hard, something that he was still proud he could do to her after all these years, "And besides," She quipped, "Those are just technicalities."
**********************

Jack watched Heimdall and Alfsol play together in the snow. They threw up the flurries and laughed. Heimdall used the magic in the little way he could to entertain his favorite cousin. Even with a two year age difference, the two were very close.

"Uncle Jack! Uncle Jack help Heimdall make a big hill to slide down!" Alfsol cried, tugging frantically on the sleeve of his uncle. His mother assumed that Elsa was watching her oldest son whenever she needed him babysat, which was mostly true. But Elsa was with Rin today somewhere calming before their next child came. It was harmless, really. Alfsol saw him from the beginning.

The kid was a little bit brilliant, Jack decided. His nephew, even at the age of five, had the perception to realize his mother's attitude toward his Uncle, so always excluded him when talking about his time down at the other side of the castle.

"Okay, okay. Let me get up." He raised his hands in defeat and grinned. Heimdall sat bouncing with anticipation on the little toboggan, and Jack moved his hands up to make a great wall of snow.

"Oh, it's so big!" Alfsol cried, "Come on Dally, let's go!" He tugged the sled, while his cousin sat clapping his hands.

Jack sat back down, watching them out of the corner of his eye. He'd heard the stories of how Elsa hurt her sister when she was younger, but he was confident that Heimdall would not be so dangerous. Elsa's parents hand't understood, but both of his parents did. His magic was taught to be something gifted, something utterly magical, that he should never be ashamed of. Since then, any snow his son created had only been with confidence and happiness.

It was the way he knew they had to teach Xanthe to sooth the Princess' worries. She thought that it was uncontrollable. Snow was, at it's root. It was dangerous. But it was also breath-taking and beautiful. He gnawed on his lip. He hoped Anna could get over her own fear and see her daughter as the latter, something beautiful.

When Alfsol began to shiver, he knew it was time to bring them in. Heimdall could stay forever outside in the snow and not be bothered a bit, like his parents, but his cousin was not as fortunate.

"Alright, let's go in." He called across the yard. Alfsol complained with Heimdall, putting up a brave front, but Jack saw the small boy's teeth beginning to chatter.

He ran at them with a roar, picking them both up by their legs and swinging them over each shoulder. "I'm a big scary snow monster!" He said. The boys hit his back all the way to the kitchen, where there was a puddle of snow left in their wake.

He sat them down on chairs, and made them milky hot chocolate.

"I have a mustache." Alfosl announced, "Just like dad!" He pointed to where the chocolate had become a drippy line of facial hair, "Why don't you have one?" He asked, pointing at Jack's face. Jack shrugged, rubbing his smooth skin.