Chapter XVII

"I told you!" Elsa announced triumphantly, "Not only is it a girl, but already she is much quieter than Heimdall ever was."

"Hey, that's not a fair assumption." Jack argued in response, "She's only been here for six hours."

"Well, Heimdall was here half an hour before he started crying. She's winning." Elsa said with a wink.

"Oh, be quiet you." Jack rolled his eyes, and hoisted his son up to see his sister, "Hey, look at your sister. This is Rin. Can you say Rin?" He asked.

Heimdall looked at his father with confusion in his eyes. "Papa?" He asked. Jack grinned; it was his favorite word. 'Mama' was only screamed when he wanted something.

"Yes, very good, I am your papa. But can you say Rin?" He asked again.

"In." Heimmdall repeated. Jack smiled, laughing.

"Close enough, kid." He said. He turned to his queen, "I think she's like us again. White hair." He stressed.

"We'll just have to see. It took Heimdall two years, don't you remember, so I think that we'll see her powers, if she has any, for quite some time." Elsa said, rocking her bassinet gently with her foot. Heimdall reached out for his mother, and Elsa took him with grace. Jack stuck his hands in his pockets, and turned in a circle.

"Can I get you anything?" He asked her, feeling like he wasn't doing much with Elsa trying to handle a son who loved to tug at her braids while simultaneously rocking a newborn.

"Some tea would be lovely." Elsa said, trying to sound calm, but the last word was muttered through gritted teeth as it was.

"Right." Jack stepped out, but popped his head back in, "Uh? What kind?" He asked.

"Anything, Jack." She growled.

"Right, right. Off to get tea." He raised his hands in a 'i'm sorry sort of way.' The halls were dark- Elsa was on an odd schedule with the birth and all. The light to the kitchens was already on, and there was some rustling from behind the door.

"What are you doing?" Jack asked, swinging the door open. He assumed it was a maid or servant, maybe getting a late night snack. Or maybe it was the midwife beating him to the tea. But it wasn't any of those...it was...Kristoff. He didn't expect an answer, after that, because Kristoff didn't believe. To his utter surprise, Kristoff sighed, without turning and continued to look. His voice was sluggish with sleep.

"The Pregnant Princess wants sardines, but there's no sardines in our kitchen. And instead of waiting like a normal person, she wants them at two AM." He mumbled, dragging a hand down his face as he turned to look at Jack.

Kristoff seemed to wake a little, because he jolted a bit.

"Who are you?" He asked, squinting hard in the dim light, "Are you supposed to be in here? I've never seen a kid like you around. I think..." He was tilting his head in a very un-flattering fashion.

Jack decided to be brash in this moment, wondering himself if he was dreaming. He stepped fully into the light, making Kristoff take a couple steps back.

"I would say I have every right being here, being the King and all." Jack replied, trying to act cool as he leaned close into the Norse man's face.

Kristoff blinked and rubbed his eyes.

"The King? Elsa...the invisible guy...huh?" Kristoff was desperately trying to push two and two together, but to no avail. He finally just examined Jack, "Aren't you a bit young to be married to a queen? What are you...fifteen?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you my age. But oh, where are my manners. Sorry, I'm Jack Frost. And you're Kristoff." He said, reaching out his hand.

"That's a unfortunate name. Like the kid in the stories my dad used to read. I just read one to Alfsol actually...he..." He yawned again, and blinked away sleep, "He insisted to read that one." He said.

"I've heard that many times." Jack rolled his eyes. He strode past Kristoff, and went to the ice-box. The little box of sardines was placed squarely in the big hands of the man, "Pleased to finally make your aquantinance. Now, get back to Anna before she bites your head off." He advised. Kristoff stumbled around a bit, knocking into a table, before nodding.

"Yeah, Anna." He suddenly remembered. As he left, he gave an uneasy nod. As Jack sat and took out the tea leaves, he shrugged to himself. If Kristoff only thought it to be a wild dream, then let him. For one night, his technical brother-in-law saw him.