Chapter XLIV

"Dad?" Azura was in a flurry to find his spot vacant and seemingly empty for quite some time.

"Shit." Colbourne rubbed his head, and adjusted his eye-patch, "I didn't think he was serious."

"What?" She spun on her brother.

"He was muttering about wanting to be left to die last night."

"Grandpa's immortal." Sarafina said with a frown.

"Gee thanks, Captain Obvious." Caulton shook his head.

"I think I know where he went. If you're magic, then you have to find a stronger magic to do things like such." Azura said, looking pointedly at Colbourne.

"Pabbie." Colbourne realized, and stood, "It's north."

"We must go quickly. Perhaps we can find him in time." Sarafina said, hurriedly rolling up her sleeping bag and throwing it on her back. Even though her travelers were older and a bit more stiff, they all moved with quick paced steps and worried hearts. They arrived just as the sun was at it's highest in the sky. The whole clearing was empty, sans a large stone which seemed to be curled in pain.

"Pabbie." Azura cried, throwing herself at the stone. Pabbie opened up slowly, with much lead in his movement.

"I don't hear him. No, Pabbie...awe, shit." Colbourne hung his head, covering his one exposed eye with his hand.

"Was Jack here?" Sarafina asked, her hands trembling.

"Aye, Princess." Pabbie sighed, "He was."

"You didn't, did you?" Cauton asked, his voice shaking hard, close to tears. Sarafina had never seen her uncle cry.

"Did I not do what?" Pabbie asked, as if hoping his family would not already know.

"Kill him." Colbourne chocked out, wiping his face.

Pabbie hung his head.

"Oh no." Azura stumbled back, hand over her mouth.

"Where is he, then?" Sarafina asked, standing and wiping her eyes, "He must be buried by Elsa."

Pabbie gave a half-smile, half-grimace. "Dear child. You will not find him here."

"How dare you." Azura's horror was replaced with rage, "He is ours to burry. He is our king. He is my father!" Pabbie's expression did not change. He motioned for the four to come forward.

"Sit, please. It is with a heavy heart I tell you such things." He said, and three sat. Colbourne refused, but stood with his ears tilted toward the troll.

"Jack came to me last night. You must understand once he was mortal, but he choose to save his child sister instead of himself one day on the ice, and drown. For his self-lessness and quick thinking to keep his sister unaware and feel safe, he was revived as a winter spirit. The Man in the Moon choose him. He has a destiny more than any of us could imagine, and you were all not originally in that equation." Sarafina gave a tiny squeak, and bit her lip hard.

"Nevertheless," Pabbie continued, "The Man in the Moon was displeased with his attachment, and rather unsure how to fix it. When Jack came asking death by me and answers from the moon, it was a means to an end. It is true, the Jack you love as your father and king is undeniably dead."

"Is there a different Jack?" Azura questioned.

"Quite so. The Jack before your mother. The Jack that was more like a child than anything else. The moon thought it would be best this way. Any memories of Elsa or his life as a king and a father are gone. As far as he knows, it's like being dead. He will continue on just like he never met Elsa, and for extra precaution I was instructed to make sure he never travels back here."

"Pabbie! How could you!" Sarafina cried.

"My hands were tied, my dear. A stronger force than all of us demanded it."

"Where is Jack, then?" Azura asked, pulling herself up and wrapping her arms around her shivering body. She looked at the horizon.

"Wherever the wind is. I cannot express how sorry I am."