Chapter XXXVI

"Unbelievable." Jack murmured in shock. Rizpah's face shifted rapidly in between shock, to worry, to anger, and finally to uncertainty. She took a shuddering breath.

"So this isn't normal?" She asked, wincing hard.

Jack and Elsa shared looks.

"Honey, nothing's 'normal'. We've only ever had a couple to test theories, but all of the times were different. We didn't see Hiemdall's powers until he was two!" Elsa chuckled, looking at her eldest son.

"But, on the flip side on either side, Azura was making frost patterns on her crib five months or so after she was born. Then we had Berlio, and we feared that we we wrong about the hair because he didn't show a smidgen of powers until he was six." Jack reassured, "But this...is...hmm..." He studied the child with calculating eyes.

"We were so confused with his hair. Bright, bright orange!" Rizpah murmured, "Now, I suppose...Well? Do you think he'll injure himself with this? It's different than winter magic!"

"Unlikely." Elsa assured, patting her niece's back, "We are immune to the most freezing of temperatures, and never have we given ourselves or others like us frostbite. I understand your concern though, but to be honest, this is new for all of us. These are only guesses of course." She added hastily.

Jack was at the eye level of the three week old. "Hey, Raiden? Wanna show Uncle Jackie your fire?" He asked, and Rizpah winced.

"Should you encourage him?" She hissed.

"He can't hear me." Jack rolled his eyes. There was a knock on the door.

"Must be Hugo. He's unaware; I just sent for him after it happened." Rizpah sighed, "Mother will be with him."

THe door opened without waiting for anyone to let them in, and two people rushed inside. Jack still glared at Hugo distrustfully, and Elsa tried not to as well, but was clearly failing as Rizpah grunted and nudged her. She touched Jack's shoulder, and he grumbled, retreating his gaze.

Yet, Anna seemed comfortable around him, and she was the most likely to have hated him. If Anna trusted him, then they must, Elsa had told Jack at Rizpah's wedding.

"He's still the son of that no good coward Hans." Jack growled, "Who knows what lies he's been fed his whole life?"

The first thing that Hugo had said was sincere, when he had been introduced a little over two years ago as the man Rizpah had been hiding (and clearly for good reason), "I am not my father." The finality of his voice had at least paused the pair from making hasty assumptions.

So far, he had done nothing to prove it wrong otherwise. In fact he had almost totally severed connections to his family back home, as his father greatly disapproved of the marriage.

Elsa also had to say she'd never seen Rizpah so pacified. The blush that crept up her cheeks whenever he was around was unusual. "Who would have thought the girl who broke my nose as children would be my wife?" He had said casually one night after the wedding, when he was taking time with the family, "Then again, I was unhealthily obsessed with her after that! Mortified, really. My uncle was no help. I began working out and in my mind, I was going to punch her right back the next time I saw her." Rizpah giggled.

"You wouldn't have been able to, even if I had given you the chance." She teased.

"Quite right. She threatened me again, and knocked me on my butt. I realized in that moment perhaps it was better to be friends than enemies, frankly I was getting tired of the bruises that appeared every time I visited Aredelle, so that's what happened. And then friends turned into...this." He said finally, his fingers linking with Rizpah's.