Chapter Sixteen: The Drunk Mistake

"Alright so that didn't work out with Melissa" Rodrick says as he walks towards me.

"Who else did you have in mind?" I bat my eyelashes at him. Honestly, I think I've had a little too much to drink but like I don't care lol.

"Do you have something in your eye?" He asks. I just laugh.

"Anyway... there's another girl I know. I've seen her at a couple of our shows. I think her name is Sawyer." I follow his gaze to a grunge looking girl that's sitting on the stairs talking with Ben. She has shoulder length, orange-red hair and black makeup. They're wearing fishnets and cool punk style clothes. Again, this one is also super cute.

Damn, I really should've upped my game tonight.

"So what did I do wrong last time?" He asks me.

"Well, what did you say to her?"

"I was just talking about our band, like how we play so loud people's ears practically bleed. Greg and Rowley kind of blew it for me though."

So the other kid's name is Rowley. That's a weird name.

"Okay so don't say that, that's disturbing and gross. I wouldn't blame her walking away." I explain.
"Look" I continue "try to be charming, not impressive." Rodrick listens to my advice intently. "Give a compliment, say something nice. That'll probably do something, I don't know." I take a swig of my drink.

He nods. "Okay, I'll try again..." he walks over to Sawyer. This time I can hear the conversation a little better.

"Hey, Sawyer, right?" He starts.
"Yeah, that's me. Who are you, again?" They must be here with a friend.
"Oh um I- I'm Rodrick. I'm in Löded Diper, I think I've seen you around at a few concerts" He explains "I play drums."
"Oh, right. That's cool, I like your guys' music." She says.
This conversation is going considerably better than the one with Melissa.

"Thanks, I like yours too. Wait, I mean-"
yikes.
I thought my advice was the problem. Turns out he's just really shit at taking any of it.

"I mean I- uh, sorry that's not what I meant to say" he tries to recover. Sawyer looks like she's doing her best to be polite, but you can tell they're trying not to laugh. I'd be doing the same. To be fair, Rodrick has had a bit to drink tonight.

He keeps awkwardly stuttering until Sawyer is pulled away by a friend.
"Oh, my friend wants to talk, it was nice meeting you though" they say and smile.

"Yeah you too" Rodrick says nervously.

Sawyer walks away.

Ohhh boy, that was a train wreck.

He rushes back to my side. "I- uh- did you see all of that?"
"Eeevery second of it, homie" I respond.
"I'm bad at this, aren't I..."
"Could be worse, I'll say that much."

He sighs.

"You're lucky you're cute though, you still have a chance with every other girl" I say quickly. I also regret it very quickly. If I was sober I'd have said nothing.

"You think I'm cute?" His voice cracks.
"Hey don't let it get to your head" I roll my eyes. Nice save, Val.

Awkward silence.

"Well, I think y-"
"Yo, Rods, get over here!" Ben calls Rodrick over to the living room.
"Hold up" he says, then walks off. I just chill where I'm standing. And I may look casual.

But I am so mad right now.

Tonight has not at all gone how I wanted it to. First, I make a total idiot of myself. Then, once I finally decide to tell Rodrick how I feel, he starts flirting with other girls.
Anya finds me again, holding a solo cup.