Chapter Ten: The Gig

I'm at home now, on the phone with Anya. I'm telling her the whole detention breakout story.

"And then he just grabs my hand and starts running!" I recount the fiasco that had occurred two hours ago.

"That's insane, what even was the point of all that?"

"That's what I said! He's totally nuts sometimes."

"Honestly, he's probably just one of those kids who go looking for trouble cuz they think it's funny."

"I know isn't it so hot?" I smile and giggle.

"I'm glad you're finally coming to terms with this crush of yours. It was so painful hearing you deny it when it was just sooo obvious."

I mean, she's right. But on my behalf, I was trying to suppress it since I thought I was bad at hiding my feelings. But I guess I'm pretty good at leading this double life. I can be Rodrick's cool friend when I'm with him, but with Anya I can share everything I really think and feel. It's a win/win.

"So what should I wear? I don't wanna look trashy but I also don't wanna look like I'm trying too hard" I say.

"Hmm, maybe since it's a concert wear a band Tshirt"

"See, that's trashy though"

"Yeah, you're right. What about a dress?"

"Hmm"

We eventually settle on a black dress with small white stars patterned all over. We keep talking about our day, and our boys, until 7:40 rolls around. I say bye and hang up. I would've invited Anya but she said she already had plans with Andy. Part of me thinks she wanted me to have as much one on one time with Rodrick as possible.

I head out the door and say bye to my dad.

"Remember, home by eleven. Be safe, I love you" he tells me.
"Love you too"

•••

I pull up to the park right at 8:00. I can see the band starting to perform in the field.
I go up to a makeshift ticket stand at the entrance of the chain link fence, where Ward is taking admissions.

"I'm with Rodrick" I tell him.

"You must be red" he tells me and lets me pass. "Thanks" I say. Rodrick refers to me as redhead with his friends?

This doesn't really count as a gig, Rodrick. If the only money you're making is coming from admissions. I guess publicity is valuable enough, though.

The band is already starting to perform their first song. The only stage lighting they have is coming from the headlights of a pickup truck parked on the field. A decently sized crowd is watching them perform, and a bunch of people are moshing and raging. I don't recognize anyone there so I stand off in the sidelines.

I see Rodrick doing his thing on the drums. He's wearing ripped jeans and a black sleeveless shirt. His hair is even messier than usual and is that... eyeliner? He looks pretty different and you can tell he's totally in his element. And it is. So. Hot.

The whole night is so fun, the music is awesome and I meet some new people. I spend a lot of the show ogling at Rodrick. He's getting all sweaty and gross, but in a good way.

Eventually, the last song is over. "We have been Löded Diper, thank you!" Says the band, and everyone cheers. Everyone chats and some people go home as the band gets their equipment set to leave. I go up to Rodrick.

He's talking to some girls when he spots me. His eyes light up and he smiles. "Val! You made it, that's awesome. What did you think?" He asks. The girls sort of eye me.

"It was great! That was infinitely cooler than rehearsal!" I tell him. He looks so proud.

"Look, I'm gonna stick around here and talk to people but we can hang later, is that cool? Gotta tell everyone to spread news of the band" He says.

"Yeah, that's cool" I say, and he smiles and continues his conversation with the group.

After about an hour and a half or so, everyone's dispersed. Rodrick's done loading his drums back into the van and Ben has left. We walk over to a gray truck which is open in the back.

"Here, let's sit" he says "this is Chris' truck."

"Where is he?"

"Ah I saw him go into some girl's car. They're probably making out or something."

"Gross" I say jokingly. We laugh.

"If you guys play this great normally, you'll win that talent show for sure" I tell him.
"Obviously" he says coolly "this show was a lot better than last time. The police showed up thirty minutes into the night and we had to move locations. But tonight was awesome, especially with you here. Thanks for being so supportive." He tells me. I nod and smile at him.

We don't say anything for a hot minute. It looks like something's on his mind, but he's not saying anything. Is he... nervous?

He's been getting like this a lot less recently ever since we got to know each other. I might be overthinking it, but he's kinda acting like me. And I'm the one with feelings for him. Maybe he reciprocates? Maybe?

I don't want to assume.

"I don't really say it often, but you're awesome, Val" he tells me suddenly. He turns towards me more. "I never tell anyone, but I get kind of worried sometimes that I'm not that great of a musician. I want to do well, but my parents don't really get my music and it makes me feel like I'll never succeed. But it's something I really love, and seeing you love it just as much has really given me more motivation."

"I had no idea you felt that way.." I smile and look down. There's a breeze and suddenly it's freezing. I start to shiver but I wanna man it out.

"Are you cold? Here" he picks up his jacket which was piled next to him and lays it over my shoulders. It's a green army jacket, and it's kind of thin so it's not helping much, but I accept.

"Thank you" I say. I realize I've been here for almost three hours now, it's probably nearing 11:00. "I should probably head home, my dad wants me back before 11" I say.

"You need a ride?"
"Nah it's ok I drove myself here"
I start to get off the truck to walk to my car but Rodrick lays his hand on mine.

"Listen, thanks for being so awesome about the band it seriously means a lot" he looks me in the eyes "I'm really glad you came."

I stare back for a few seconds. Should I-? What do I do...

"That's what she said" I say. He laughs and pushes me off the truck.

"You're dumb" he says.

"Says you! I had a really great time though, thanks for the invite. You really are something, Rodrick Heffley. Goodnight"

"Goodnight, drive safe" he says.

And then I go home.

•••

I get home at 11:03. But I doubt my dad will care.

I get inside, and sure enough, he's already asleep on the couch. The TV is still on. I shut it off for him and go to my room.

I throw the jacket on my bed, wash my face, and change into a tshirt and shorts. Then I go back to my bed.

I pick up Rodrick's jacket.

'Oh I forgot to give this back...'

I can do it tomorrow. I put it on and fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.