Chapter Nine: The Breakout

Friday rolls around and I can't focus during any of my classes. I'm way too excited for the concert tonight.

I'd been to every Löded Diper practice this week (except Wednesday) and it's got me hyped for a full performance. I don't know why, but something about watching Rodrick play the drums just gives me a rush. It's the little things like that that make me so attracted to him. The fact that he can go from a laidback jokester to a full on passionate musician makes me like him even more.

I know I said I have to be low key around him, and I am, but I've been spending so much time thinking about him it's insane. I know I probably shouldn't, but sometimes I even find myself wondering what it's like to-

"Miss Sullivan!"

I jump. Apparently my teacher's been calling my name over and over, but I was too busy zoning out.

"Yes, sorry" I try and recover.

The class laughs at me. I feel so stupid.

"Valorie if you're not going to pay attention in my class I might have to give you a detention" says my English teacher, Mrs. Hart.

"Are you serious? I promise I'll pay attention, I'm sorry!" I try to bargain with her but it's no use. I probably made it worse.

"Too late. You go to the study hall after school today for a one hour detention. Hopefully you'll have learned your lesson." she hands me a note.

Well this totally blows.

•••

We're back at the cafeteria.
I'm on my way to our usual spot when I'm stopped by Rodrick.

"Hey red, how's it hangin'?" He asks me. He helps me pick up my mood.

"It's alright. You'll never guess what happened in English class" I laugh.
Wait, it's definitely a bad idea to tell him about how I got in trouble since I was too busy thinking about him in ways he probably doesn't wanna hear.

"What happened?"

"A-actually never mind. Long story short, I have an hour detention after school today." I huff.

"Ah that sucks, dude."

"I know! I was so ready to go home today" and then spend the next five and a half hours freaking out on the phone with Anya.

"Hey well, it'll be over before you know it. You still coming to the show tonight?"

"Wouldn't miss it. My dad wants me home before 11 though, hopefully everything will be done before then." I hope it leaves some time for me to hang with Rodrick afterwards.

"Awesome, if you need a ride there let me know, I can kick Ben out of the van since I only have two seats."

"Yeah, what happened to the rest of them?"

"Got 'em removed, where else am I gonna put my drums?"

"That's fair. But it's alright, you can keep Ben. Didn't get my license for nothing." I say as I start to walk away to my table.

"See ya there, red" he says.

•••

It's after school and I'm in the study hall, which is like a big empty classroom, waiting for my one hour to end. I've had my fair share of detentions over the years, but this is ridiculous. I don't think I did anything that bad, like what kid doesn't zone out every now and then.

I'm sitting in front of Jeremy Hardwick, who keeps throwing erasers at my head when the detention monitor isn't looking. Jeremy has always been an asshole. And the monitor, Mr. Colton, loves to look away a lot.

This is gonna be a long hour.

About fifteen minutes go by when I hear a tap on the window I'm sitting next to.

I look over and see Rodrick hiding in the bushes outside. He's holding something.
"What are you doing here?!" I mouth to him. If the teacher catches me I'm gonna be here for a lot longer than an hour.

He starts aggressively pointing at Mr. Colton.
"When he leaves, you run!" He mouths at me.
"What?!"
"Just do it!"

He bolts away from the window as Mr. Colton turns in my direction.
I wait a few seconds, nervous for whatever plan Rodrick has in mind. Suddenly, I hear rapid footsteps and a basketball bouncing in the hallway.

"Go long!" Rodrick yells as he passes the basketball to, I'm assuming, one of his friends.

The friend keeps dribbling and running down the hallway, past the open door of study hall.

"HEY" Mr. Colton yells as he starts to chase after him "Get back here!" After he leaves, Rodrick's standing at the door.

"Val! Come on!" He beckons me over rapidly.
I clumsily grab my backpack and get up, the desk shifting.

"Run" Rodrick says. He grabs my hand and we start running down the hall towards the doors. Wow, I can't tell if it's the exercise or the sudden hand holding that's making my heartbeat rapid. We barge through the front doors towards the parking lot.

Breathing heavily, I start to yell at him.
"You! *pant* are insane!" I weakly hit him in the shoulder. "What was the point of that?! I can deal with an hour in detention you nutcase!"

"You *pant* didn't seem too stoked to be in detention in the first place. It's not like they care enough to keep names in detention anyway, some people realize that too late." He leans over "To be honest I wasn't sure about the plan until I saw that you had to sit in front of Jeremy Hard Dick. That kid sucks." He starts laughing.

"Well, thanks for breaking me out, but what about your friend?" I ask him.

"Oh, Ward? He'll be fine. He's outrun Colton before. Look there he is now" he points. Sure enough, there's Ward running out the back entrance of the building. He's still clutching the basketball.

"Anyway, later." He pats me on the head and jogs away to his van. I'm still a little shocked by the whole encounter.

What a weird kid.