Chapter Six: The Number

After an hour long rehearsal, and a lot of goofing off, everyone starts to go home.
In a few minutes, it's just Rodrick and me again.

"I had a ton of fun today, thanks for inviting me over" I tell him as we start to walk out the front door.

"That's awesome. Not even surprised you loved it, you got to see the future celebs of Plainview perform a private concert. Pretty soon, we'll be doing tours and stuff."

"Don't you only have one gig coming up?"

"Soon to be many" he tries to convince me "plus, we've been doing our own concerts, trying to get the word around."

"Well, I'll be sure to tell all my friends about the coolest band in town"

"That's us, right?"

"Duh" I roll my eyes and laugh. I am appalled at how dumb this boy can be, sometimes.

"You can come over again tomorrow. As the official biggest fan of Löded Diper, you are now invited to come to every rehearsal we have from now on" says Rodrick.

"Wow I'm touched" I put my hand on my chest. "I can't make it tomorrow though, I promised my friend I'd hang out with her." I shrug.

"That's cool. If that gets canceled though, you're still invited." He says. He sounds pretty eager about it, too. It's kinda cute.

We walk back to his van and start driving down the street. I give him directions to my place and we talk and joke the whole ride there. After we stop, he gives me a weird look.

"Honestly, I'm totally stoked I met you. I didn't think the chick I almost injured yesterday would be so cool" he tells me with a genuine, heartfelt tone. I can tell I'm blushing really hard but I try to cover it up with a laugh. Trying to hide my apparent feelings from him is getting more and more difficult when I find everything he says so attractive. Even the dumb stuff.

"I'm glad we met, too. I made a great friend today" I say as I smile.
"Same here" he says, which makes me die inside. Guess we're just friends. I keep smiling though.

"Hey, could you give me a ride to school tomorrow? Kinda left my car in the parking lot" I ask. "Oh right, sorry about that. Yeah I can be here at 7:30."

"Sounds great, thanks. I'll see you tomorrow. Later." I, for some reason, try to give him a fist bump which ends up super awkward.
"Later, redhead"

"Bedhead." I close the door and he drives away.

I spend a few seconds standing on my driveway, watching him drive terribly away. The realization that I really do have a huge crush on him hits me like a truck. I better get over it fast, he hasn't given me any signs that he likes me back. He just wants to be friends.

I unlock and go inside my front door. Dad's still at work so I have the whole place to myself, just like every other weekday.
I'm greeted by Ritchie, my dog. He's the only living thing that has heard all of my secrets, even more than Anya. Hopefully he doesn't randomly learn to talk one day.

"What's up Ritchie" I give him some head pats and he wags his tail "would you make fun of me if I said I was in love with a rock drummer?"

Obviously he says nothing. Just keeps panting with his big 'ol tongue out. "You can help me keep my mind off of Rodrick" I say. But, the more I look at Ritchie, I notice his giant brown eyes and messy dark fur. "Damn, never mind, you look just like him." I feed Ritchie dinner and go to my room.

My room has a similar feel to Rodrick's, only cleaner and.. girlier I guess. I like to have a bunch of posters and lights hung up, but at least I keep my room organized. Boys are so messy.
I throw my backpack next to my desk and flop down on my bed. I just stare at the ceiling for a long time. No matter how hard I try I cannot. Stop. Thinking. About Rodrick.

This is getting bad.

After, like, thirty minutes I try to get some homework done. I finish everything, just in twice the amount of time than usual since I keep getting interrupted by thoughts about Rodrick. His eyes, his hair, the way he drums, how his jokes are stupid but still funny.. his smile.

Oh boy.

Well, I was planning on getting a bio assignment done a day early but I guess my brain can't take it today. There goes that plan.

I go back to the kitchen and use the house phone to call Anya.

"Hey girl what's up?" She asks.

"We have a situation.." I sound way too serious for this.

"Let me guess, is it that Brock guy?"

"His name's Rodrick. And yeah. He invited me over to his place today."

"Oooooh, I see where this is going!" I can almost hear her smiling.

"No you don't, shut up. He had me over to watch his band rehearse and it was cool, but before that he wanted to hang out together.. alone."

"Like I said, I see where this is going"

"Let me finish. So, I definitely have a thing for him. At first I thought that maybe he might have a thing for me too. But he kept his distance the whole time and didn't even try to imply that he likes me or make any moves. I just took it as him wanting to stay friends only. Now I'm all worried he's gonna notice I have feelings for him and not want to hang out anymore. I just want to get over him but I can't and I don't know why."

There's silence on Anya's end for a second.

"Valorie you are so dumb."

"Hey! You wouldn't understand, you weren't even there."

"You're right, but I still think he likes you."

"You can think whatever you want, just don't try pushing it when he's around."

"You know me better than that!"

"I know I know! I'm just nervous. He's driving me to school tomorrow"

"You have GOT to be kidding me, Val! First, he asks you to hang out a DAY after meeting you. Then, he asks to hang out ALONE. NOW he's driving you to school? Are you SURE he just wants to be friends?"

"Okay when you put it like that I'm not sure."

"Just 'not sure'?"

"Well.. it's just a feeling I get from him when we're together. I don't know. Look, I'll give it a few weeks before totally confirming whether he likes me or not."

"Uuuuggh you're so boring. But whatever, if it makes you more comfortable. Either way I get to see how it all plays out, and I have high hopes for you two" she starts to giggle.

"Even if we do just stay friends, he's a really cool guy and loves all the same music I do. Unlike you and Andy, just saying."

"That's fair. Wait, Bob Rick gave you his number, right? You should take that as a sign and call him sometime."

"Rodrick. Maybe I will. But what if he gave it to me by accident?"

"He didn't, but call him anyway! Here, you can do it now. Love you babes, I'm only doing this for you."

"Wait Anya I'm not gonna call him right n-"

*click*

She hung up.

Well, guess there's only one thing left to do. I go get the pen with the number on it and read it carefully.

Okay. All there's left to do now is dial it and call. All I gotta do. Just.. dial it.. and wait for the phone to ring. Just dial.. the number. Just...

I can't do it. I put down the receiver and go back to my room.