Chapter Fifteen: The Big Question

We walk inside. It's pretty busy, but nothing too crazy yet. The whole place is decorated in colored lights, which is a nice touch. I see a couple people I recognize from the Löded Diper concert and wave at them. Katy's here too, looking badass as ever. Anya and I grab a couple drinks and walk back over.

"What's up Katherine" I say jokingly

"My name's not Katherine" Katy says and laughs. "So, I hear you're asking rock star boy out tonight?" She says in a quieter tone.

Yikes, I guess a couple people already know about that. Hopefully it didn't get back to Rodrick at all.

I definitely already know the answer, but I ask anyway.
"How'd you hear about that?"

"Here's a hint. It starts with 'A' and ends in 'nya'" Katy tells me.

"Not even surprised" I say as I look at Anya.
She giggles and shrugs "Don't worry! I only told a trusted few" she gets all wide eyed.

"Well, let's hope I don't embarrass myself tonight before you guys do" I say as I sip my drink.
"What's shakin' red" I hear a familiar voice from behind me. It completely startles me and I start choking and coughing. Anya and Katy try (and fail) to hide their laughter.

Welp, making a total idiot of myself is off the checklist for tonight.

"Woah take it easy on the bev, you animal!" Rodrick jokes. I slap him on the arm.

Rodrick is looking exceptionally attractive tonight. Hair a little messier than usual. He's wearing a black graphic T-shirt, and I notice he's wearing the green jacket he let me borrow. I think he's wearing eyeliner again? He makes it look so good.

"Dude you gotta stop sneaking up on me" I finally am able to say. He gently pats me on the back and chuckles. "Hey Kate, Anya. Great party, right?" he greets them. "So, what're you guys talking about?"

"Nothing." Katy and Anya say in unison, in like, the most suspicious way possible.

"Riveting" he responds. He can definitely tell they're hiding something. But he doesn't focus on it for long, he seems a little distracted tonight.

"Hey is that a lamp?" Anya says, and she pulls Katy away into the living room. Round of applause for the incredibly convincing excuse by Anya. Now it's just Rodrick and me. I need to talk to him enough tonight before asking the big question.

"So Rods-" I start.

"Oh hey, hold on, Ben and Chris just got here." He says quickly and goes to greet his bandmates. Then they go talk in the living room. So much for getting my time with him. Anya and Katy come back to me.

"Did you say anything yet??" they ask.
"Guys, it's been not even five minutes. I'll get around to it, I just need to prepare."
"You've had weeks to prepare! Just go for it!" Anya says.
"I know I know! Just let me-"

Suddenly, the music's interrupted by the phone ringing. Some kid goes to answer, but Rodrick FREAKS out.

"Yo, don't touch that phone!" He stops him. "Music off, everybody freeze! Freeze.." music shuts off.
He seems totally panicked as he frantically hushes everyone. "If anyone makes a sound, the party's over, and I am a DEAD man. So sshh!"
He takes his time getting to the phone and answers. I listen closely.

It's his mom.
Holy shit, that's hilarious.

Everyone stays dead quiet, which surprises me. Guess nobody wants to be kicked out right after the party just started. The conversation is really funny to listen to, knowing there's an army of teens trying to be as quiet as possible and Mrs. Heffley has no idea.