Chapter Fourteen: The Party

The rest of this week is pretty agonizing. On the outside I'm still friendly with Rodrick but on the inside I'm freaking out. We haven't been able to hang out since he's in trouble, so I try and make the most of the time with him at school.

I've gotten over enough of my self doubt I think. Which is why I wanna shoot my shot with him soon. And it's not that I'm still insecure, but I'm still scared to do it. Anya tells me I have to push through, though. I just need to hold my breath and do it.

Every interaction I have with Rodrick during the week is pretty normal. I try to give him some hints though. But they don't always go to plan. For example, we were talking after school on Thursday and I tried something. We were discussing music, so I saw my in.

"I think it's crazy how Ben can play guitar so easy. My hands are too small to even try" I told Rodrick. He didn't get the hint right away.

"Okay yeah, but he's not even that great" he said. I internally roll my eyes and keep going.

"Yeah it's just that my hands are SO SMALL and tiny, like I can barely hold a mug with one hand." I hate what I'm doing because it sounds so stupid but I'm sticking to it. "A high five would probably break my wrist."

He still didn't get it. "So? Having little hands isn't that big of a deal and yours aren't even that small" he explained to me.

For Christ's sake.

"Look" I grabbed his hand and put it up to mine "your hands are so much bigger than mine, see?" We just stood there with our hands touching for an awkward amount of time. I was really hoping something would be clicking in his head by now.

"Your hands are sweaty" he said.

So yeah that's how that went. I used the oldest trick in the book, comparing hand sizes. Oh well, I still have more ideas. I think I'll be mentally prepared by the weekend.

•••

It's Saturday afternoon now, and I'm chilling in my room trying to think of ways to tell Rodrick I like him. Should I tell him on the phone? While we're hanging out? At the mall? The park? Do I tell him straight up? Do I write a note? With words?

My thinking is interrupted by the phone ringing. I don't bother to get up from my bed and let it go to voicemail.

The recording starts to play on the answering machine. It's Rodrick.

"Hey Val. So you know how my mom's been pissed at me and Greg? Well, turns out, as a punishment my parents are going on our family vacation this weekend without us and they're taking my baby brother. It kinda sucks, but now I have the house all to myself. So obviously I'm throwing a huge party tonight at eight, you better be there." It ends.

A party? Hmm, this either is getting in the way of my plan or it just might be my solution. He sounded pretty excited about it so I'm guessing he's inviting a lot of people. I don't know if I can get a private moment with him when I'm there. I decide to go anyway.

I get up and dial Anya on the phone.

"Hey, bestie, love of my life, how would you like to accompany me to a party tonight?" I ask.

"The one at Rodrick's?"

"Ye- wait how did you know it was his party?"

"He mass texted. Pretty much the whole school is invited."

Oh. That's a lot of people.

That's a lot of girls. I can tell I have a sour look on my face.

"Anya there's gonna be an ass ton of girls, I need to look hot."

"Say no more, I'll be there in an hour." She hangs up.

Sure enough, Anya gets here at 6:30. We spend a lot of time going through my clothes.

"You can borrow some of my stuff if you want, by the way" I let her know. She's dressed pretty casual.

"Val, I am a taken woman, I needn't court any fellows on tonight's occasion. Plus I look gorgeous in everything." She's so dramatic I love it.

"I wish I had your confidence."

"You can borrow it for the night if you want. You'll need it if you're gonna make a move on Rodrick" she says. "Which you SHOULD do tonight."

"Yeah, I'll try. I'm nervous though.."

"Don't be, you're gonna look amazing and you're gonna feel so confident he won't be able to resist you."

When I tell you we go through a million different combinations of clothes, I'm not even exaggerating. My whole room is a huge mess by the time we pick out what I'm gonna wear.

"Ooh damn girl" Anya says as she applauds for me.

I'm wearing a cropped, distressed tank top that's a dark green color, a black mini skirt, and a cropped leather jacket. I also did wings on my eyeliner and got it pretty even after trying for like, thirty minutes.

"I feel naked" I say. It's definitely more revealing than my normal clothes.

"That's the whole point, now let's go."

We get in her car and the whole ride there, I feel more and more anxious.

"Val, I can hear you hyperventilating. Everything's gonna be fine, calm down. You look amazing and you're gonna have loads of fun. Especially with me. So take a couple deep breaths, okay?" Anya says.

"Okay" I do and it actually helps a lot. We park on the curb next to the Heffley house and get out of the car. A few people have already arrived and the party's starting to kick off. We walk up to the front porch.

Here goes nothing.