Chapter Eight: The Phone Call

It's the end of the school day. I go to my locker to find Anya. Part of me is hoping Rodrick will be there again, but I guess he's already left to go pick up his brother. She's talking with Andy at her locker.

"What's up?" Anya says, as I walk up to her.

"I'm here for that girls night I promised you" I say.

"Oh dammit! I totally forgot about that, I'm sorry. Andy and I are gonna go see a movie. Uh, you can join us if you want!" She says.

There's no way I'm third wheeling their date.

"Nah it's chill, we can do something during the weekend instead. I might go watch Rodrick rehearse again." I say.
I am feeling a lot happier all of a sudden.

"Kk, have fun! Call me later" Anya says as she leaves with Andy.

"Bye."

I practically sprint to the parking lot. Jeez, with all these Rodrick visits maybe I am starting to seem desperate.

I sort of remember the way to his house. We're in the same neighborhood and it's a twenty minute drive.

When I get there I knock on the door. What I assume to be Rodrick's mother answers.

"Oh! Hello there" she seems taken aback. I'm used to it, parents usually react like that now, especially since I dyed my hair.

"Are you-?"

"Hi! I'm Valorie, one of Rodrick's friends. He told me he'd be rehearsing with his band today and said I could come watch if I wanted. Is he here?" I try to be as polite as possible.

"Oh, sorry honey, I'm having him give his little brother a drum lesson. He won't be having the band over today, unfortunately."

"That's totally alright" I say.

"I'm Susan, you can call me Mrs. Heffley" we shake hands "How do you know Rodrick?"

"I met him a few days ago, actually. He's been letting me sit in on his band practice and it's been a lot of fun. That's a very talented son you have, Mrs. Heffley." I smile sweetly.

"Well, I'm very glad to hear that. I'm a little concerned that Rodrick didn't let me know he was having a girl over, but you're very polite. You're welcome to come over whenever you'd like, just let me know beforehand from now on, okay?" She's super nice.

"Of course! If it helps, I can give you our house phone number, but I don't have my dad's work number" I say. I tell her the number and start to leave.

"Have a nice day, Mrs. Heffley" I say as I walk away.

"You too, I'll let Rodrick know you stopped by!" She says, then closes the door.

Ohh no, that'll be embarrassing. I don't doubt that he'll bring it up tomorrow.

It's a huge relief to know his mother isn't angry with me though. She seemed very surprised about me being there. I guess Rodrick never has girls over.
That's... interesting information.

Anyway I drive home.

When I get home I go to the kitchen to call Anya.

No answer. Guess it is a little early since my visit was cut short, she's probably still at the movie.

I make some food and go to finish my homework.

•••

I'm in my room listening to music when I hear the phone ringing from the kitchen.

I go and answer it.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey Redhead" I hear Rodrick's voice.

"Oh, hey Rodrick" I'm surprised "how'd you get my number?"

"My mom wrote in on some notepad under your name. When'd you talk to my mom?"

"Earlier today after school. I was gonna come watch your band but she said you were giving your brother a drum lesson?"

"Ah yeah, my mom has this system where if I do random nice shit for my brother, Greg, then I get paid in fake money which I can then trade in for real money. Calls it 'mom bucks'"

"That's sweet you're doing that for your brother"

"Eh sure, but he's not allowed to touch my drums. I still got paid though." He laughs. "Anyway, I got some awesome news"

"Spill"

"You know that talent show that's happening in town soon? Plainview's Most Talented?"

"No I haven't heard of it, but that's cool. Are you gonna enter?"

"Yeah, I signed up Löded Diper as an act. And get this, the first place prize is a thousand dollars! It's gonna be broadcast on TV too, this could be huge for the band!" He sounds really excited, it's adorable.

"That's awesome! I can still come watch you practice, right?"

"Of course redhead, what's Löded Diper without the fan club?"

"That's me, I'm the whole club. That's totally epic though, you guys are so gonna win that contest" I tell him.

"Thanks Val, that means a lot." My heart skips a beat.
He never calls me Val, it feels so intimate. Oh hush, everyone calls me Val, I need to relax.

Not gonna overthink it.

"O-of course! *cough* I uh, anyway, I was gonna ask you something."

"Yeah?" He sounds pretty excited.

"When's your next gig with the band? I was gonna see if I could come watch"

"It's this Friday, at the park, at 8:00 PM. There's gonna be admission but I can tell the guys you're with me" he explains.

"You don't have to do that" he's so sweet.

"Too bad, already done."

We talk for another hour or so. I've never laughed so much with someone. Rodrick's become such a close friend already, and it's one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. I just wish I could tell him that.