Chapter 25: UNSURE

"Lady Laila, from the signs you have explained, and my thorough examination, you are pregnant," the physician said to the woman sitting on the bed.

Laila looked at Sandra who appeared to be just as shocked! She is pregnant?

"How far along?" she asked the man.

"Still very early, maybe two or three. But you need to be very careful and avoid anything that can stress you unless you will miscarry."

"Thank you, but please...do not inform the king," she told the man.

He furrowed his eyebrows, "Apologies My Lady, but it is my duty to tell the king if any of his women are pregnant or ill."

"I know, but he is at war right now, and I want to wait till everything has calmed down. I want to tell him myself."

The old man looked at her, searching her eyes as if he could tell whether she was lying. He nodded, "Very well...I will be giving your maid something for you to take to help the baby."

She sighed in relief before nodding. "Thank you."

Immediately the man left, Sandra embraced her with a smile. "This is good news!"

But Laila did not return her joy, as she said, "The king will kill me."

"What do you mean by that?" her friend asked.

Panic marred her face as she turned to Sandra, "The king loathes me! What do you think will happen if he finds out I got pregnant? He will say I used it to trap him! He always turns things back around, and I don't want to -"

"My Lady!" Sandra snapped Laila out of her rant.

"Sandra," she called, choking on her tears.

Her friend sighed consoling her, "Listen, you do not have to tell him immediately after everything dies down. Just give yourself time to think about it, and say it when you're ready."

***

"Laila"

The woman stands up immediately and turns around.

Looking at the man in front of her, she sniffs, before letting out a heartfelt sob. Arthur quickly embraces her, whispering soft words of reassurance as he can't possibly understand what caused her to be so upset right now unless it was King Stephan.

The devil in question had decided to go after her, only to be met with the scene before him. His woman was crying in the embrace of another man.

Clicking his tongue in annoyance, he turns around and walks away.

Arthur gently pats her back, until she calms down. Sitting down on the grass he finally asks,

"What happened?"

Laila lets out a sigh, "He's making my life so complicated."

He keeps mute, allowing her to speak till she's fine.

"He made it clear that he does not want me, or like me, but still chooses to make my life difficult. Before I became his woman, he told me I could leave whenever I wanted just like he told all his women. So why is he forcing me to stay? He knows he's a king and once he orders me to do something, I have to! I cannot run away because I have nowhere to go, and the worst part...the worst part is that he apologized to me earlier, and I felt happy about it. I felt like I wanted to go back into his arms, only for him to get mad the very next moment! How does he apologize and repeat his actions constantly like that? I know I am stronger than this, but why do I have to be so in love with a man like him?"