Chapter 10: THE ARRIVAL

"Is she in?" Regina asks the guards, who nodded in response.

Pushing the doors, she enters the chambers looking at the young woman on the bed.

"Lady Regina, she's taking her rest," a maid says.

"Please, spare me that trash," Regina glares at the woman, who cowers away.

Walking to the bed, she looks at the platinum blonde, desperately trying to keep her eyes closed.

"Stop with that nonsense before I slap you awake"

Georgi opens her eyes glaring at the woman beside her.

"I'm not feeling too well Lady Regina," she says.

"You think I am stupid? Who put you up to that?"

Georgi looks anywhere but at her, clearly frowning.

Regina turns to her maid who flinches upon seeing her glare, "leave us."

Without hesitation, she scurries out the room, leaving the two women of the king to have their chat.

"It was Mara, wasn't it?"

The young woman ignores her, pretending her existence is unknown.

"I thought it was strange, how you did not act this way last year when Garnet told you the exact same thing Laila did."

Still no response

"And to think she was the one out of everyone in the castle to find you makes it even weirder. She's not the type to care about some child that had a temper tantrum unless it benefits her. If you were found in the lake and you'd been gone since afternoon you're supposed to be dead. Nothing adds up at all. What did Mara promise you? That she'll leave the king for you for a week?"

Silence

"Do you really think the king will marry you?"

"Get out," Georgi turns to her, clearly angry at her words.

Regina chuckles, seeing her reaction, "Of course I will, and I'm sure the king wouldn't mind me telling him that you wasted his time because of your jealousy"

"He won't believe you," she says, sitting up.

"Oh please Georgi, the king is not daft. Just because you've been with him for a little over a year doesn't mean you can read him. I'm pretty sure he knows already."

"You're lying!" she exclaims, feeling her heart beating faster, as she suddenly feels hot.

"Let's test that out shall we?" Regina smiles, walking to the door.

"I hate her!" Georgi exclaims in anger.

Regina turns around, looking at her.

"I hate Laila. Mara told me the king was already pushing her away, and something like this would seal the deal."

It was there and then, Regina realized why they perceived Laila as a threat. 

***

Laila is laying beside Stephan, her head on his chest, as she is fast asleep. He really fucked her till she passed out. Truth is, he has missed her, not just because of sex, but because it's Laila, his seventh woman. He is fond of her and enjoys talking with her. She gives advice that no one else does, not even his advisors, and her smile...it's like no other. He shouldn't have hurt her feelings like he did, it was so petty and foolish. But he'll surely make it up to her.

***

The young woman pries her eyes open the following day, only to see she's still in the embrace of King Stephan. Memories of last night come flashing in her head, blood rushing to her cheeks. How many times did he take her last night? She honestly cannot remember. Does that mean he missed her? Why did he sleep beside her after intercourse when he's never done that before? What should she make of this? Gently, she lifts her head from his chest, watching him as he sleeps...a very handsome man, indeed.