Chapter 3: SALOON

Laila takes a deep breath as she sits beside Amice on one of the cushions that face Lady Mara and Quinn diagonally, but directly opposite Georgi. Lady Sarah sits on another cushion beside Georgi. The golden walls of the saloon give off a royal vibe. The gold and red cushions with small polished wooden coffee tables by each cushion decorated with white contribute to the theme.

"Please, have some snacks," Lady Mara says gesturing to the small coffee table in the middle that has a plate of baked goods.

Lady Amice and Sarah help themselves, while Laila kindly raises her fruit bowl to show her that she has something already. Mara's eyes narrow at her for a second before she plasters her smile back on her face.

"So tell us, Laila. How was breakfast with the king?" Mara asks, causing everyone except Amice to turn immediately in anticipation. This is the main reason she did not want to talk with them today, they would certainly ask her about this.

"Oh please, leave Laila alone. If she had wanted to share she would have," Amice says rolling her eyes as she takes a bit of her snack.

"Well I'm curious about how my future husband behaved this morning," Georgi says, staring at Laila.

"Don't answer if you don't want to, Laila," Sarah says, turning her attention back to her snacks.

"Oh please, nothing obviously happened, it's clear the king has no interest. I mean look at her! Out of all of us, she is the most basic, no unique features at all!" Lady Quinn says rolling her eyes.

Laila swallows hard looking at Quinn as she spews these words unapologetically. The worst part is that she believes her. Her chestnut hair, brown eyes, average busts, and hips, cannot compare to the other ladies! Everything about her, from head to toe, is basic! At least Quinn has bright blue eyes, and is given the nickname "perfect child-bearing hips", as her figure is great! She has every right to talk to her that way.

"Watch your mouth, Quinn," Amice says in anger. Laila's eyes dart to her friend who is unique in her own way. Her silver eyes complement her Ash Blonde hair perfectly, and her full lips, whenever she pouts, are so kissable. Lady Quinn is right, she is as average as they come.

The woman looks up, her eyes meeting Mara's light blue ones that hold a satisfied expression. "The king hurt Laila, this morning. You refused to look at me when I called you, as you were heading to your chambers. Probably hiding tears, or trying hard to prevent the unshed tears from falling."

Mara says this, gauging Laila's reaction carefully. Everyone turns to look at Laila, but she decides to give none of them the satisfaction. The young lady smiles, and even chuckles, her eyes and Mara's never breaking contact.

"So, because I did not tell you what happened you all are formulating such things? I must say your imaginations are wild," Laila says, before turning to Quinn.

"Lady Quinn, I will have you know the king laid with me this morning."

"No!" Georgi exclaims in disbelief. "Oh yes, Georgi. So if he was tired of such a basic woman, why would he lay with her? And Lady Mara," Laila turns back to meet a now unsatisfied expression, "I did not turn back to meet you because I was very tired, he was a lot wilder than usual, so I had really wanted to rest."

Everyone keeps mute looking at her dumbfounded.

"Now," Laila says standing up, "If that is all you want to ask me, I shall be taking my leave, Sandra and I have planned a few things so I wouldn't want to keep her waiting." Laila smiles at them brightly, only Amice returning it equally.

Opening the door, Laila stops, "Oh...and Lady May lied, the king told me he lost his appetite and couldn't even eat yesterday. I guess I am not the one desperate after all," she sulks sarcastically at them before chuckling and closing the door behind her.