Chapter 36: BACK

Laila is taken aback by King Stephan's lips on hers, and immediately she pushes him back, slapping him in anger. Gasping for breath, she looks up at him, wiping her mouth, tears welling up in her eyes, "Don't you ever do that again."

"Laila, I swear if you take a step towards that door, I will grab you and lock you inside that room. You.Can.Leave.Tomorrow"

Without speaking, she walks past him, up the stairs still feeling her heart pound against her chest, this man has no respect for her!

Opening the door she heads to the chair to sit down.

"Take the bed...I'll stay on the floor," he says, moving to take off his shirt. Standing up, she heads to the mattress, getting under the sheets, her back facing Stephan's side of the floor.

As the king settles down on the hard floor, the sniffles from his lover reach his ears.

Laila is on the bed, trying her best to suppress her tears, but her sniffles just give everything away. Stupid hormones! She's stronger than this. She knows she's stronger than this, so why is she allowing the king to have his way? That's exactly why...he's a king, she's a nobody.

When he placed his lips on hers she was so angry at him, but mostly at herself, for missing his lips on hers, for missing the care and attention he's shown to her. She's so pathetic.

"You're not a whore," Stephan says, breaking the silence.

"Yes, I am...I am not even pregnant with your child."

"Laila-"

"Don't talk to me, and you better not stop me from leaving tomorrow morning."

"...I won't"

***

She was mad, she was upset, she was everything down to disappointment. She woke up the next day, but the king was nowhere to be seen. A small part wanted the king to stop her from leaving, just like he did last night, but she knew it was too good to be true. What kind of love did she have for this man, that she still thought about him like this? A disappointment to herself is exactly what she was.

Coming back from the field that morning, Stephan looks around his chambers to find no sign of Laila...she is gone.

"King Stephan, where is Laila?" Saya asks, later in the day, with a smile on her face.

"She had to leave early. There are some things that needed her attention back in Sheath," he says, with a smile.

Nodding, she replies, "I don't know if she has told you anything about her cravings"

"Cravings?" Stephan asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Yes, when I was pregnant with Elior, I always craved fresh fruits. I don't know what she might be craving but knowing Laila, she may never admit to it. Just make sure to keep asking her. Also, Xerxes used to help me at night when my belly got bigger, I would have waist pains, and my feet would get swollen. He would massage me. That was before you know...Oma happened"

Nodding he smiles at her, "I will take all of that into consideration. I will be leaving soon as well."

"Please be careful on your way back," she says, bowing before walking away.

Laila is in a carriage, leaning against it as she thinks about her life, and how she will manage. She has not bought anything for her baby yet, neither has she seen any physician since the man at the castle.

The thought invades her head as soon as her mind goes to it. Why did the physician lie? Or was he mistaken? If he was, the least he could've done was correct himself. Shaking her head she realizes that she only wants to see the best in people, Sandra had told her everything she needed to know.