Stella & The Unveiling

Chapter 11

Stella

"Celery, onions, and carrots." Mrs. Lewis instructs me as she dumps the ingredients into the pot. I nod as I mentally take note. She was showing me how to make her famous pot pie. It felt as though Mrs. Lewis was distracting herself from her husband's recent passing by constantly cooking and offering to teach me things. I couldn't say no to the grieving widow and found myself here constantly the past few weeks.

I was in the kitchen of the Lewis family home, where I had been hanging out a lot since his passing. I wish I had been able to visit before he passed, but it is what it is. The house must've felt so empty for the two of them without Mr. Lewis. But to me, it just felt like a house.

My relationship with Michael had moved fast. We were there for each other emotionally and mentally, but we were just friends. We had become very good friends as time had passed but nothing more than that.

I knew I was still in love with Julius, as much as I hated to admit it.

Michael enters the kitchen tiredly as he places his suitcase on the counter. He had been staying at his family home to support his mother, for the time being, leaving his apartment in central Boston empty.

"Rough day?" I ask as I pour the seasoning into the pot.

He nods, "You have no idea. Can we talk?" He asks as he nods his head toward the hall.

I look up at him as his face shows a look of concern. I place the paprika on the counter before nodding. "I'll be right back." I tell Mrs. Lewis as I whisk off my apron.

I follow Michael to the other living room, near the front entrance, and take a seat beside him on the couch. "What happened?" I ask.

He sighs, "I just got out of a meeting with the board of directors."

I nod, urging him to continue.

"They're naming the new CEO tomorrow."

I quirk my brow in confusion, "What? I thought Mr. Lewis wanted me to take over after him? And if not me then you?"

He shakes his head as he sighs, "I never wanted to be CEO Stella. And they said you can't be CEO until another two years pass because that's when my father originally planned for you to take over. They say you're not ready."

I scoff, "I've been ready my whole life! If it's not me and it's not you, who is it?"

He shrugs, "Some guy, Redford? Bradford? I don't remember."

I squint my eyes in annoyance, "You don't remember? Weren't you just with them?"

"Look Stella it's not great watching some corporate donkey take over my dad's position so soon. Sorry I didn't have time to remember his name." He says in an annoyed tone. My face falters slightly as I start to feel bad. Michael looked stressed, probably from having to deal with all the responsibility that comes after the funeral. Apart from losing his father, he had to plan the funeral, worry about his mother, sort out his father's will, and now return to work the one place where he was used to constantly having his dad around.

"I'm sorry." I say softly as I place my hand over his own.

"No, I'm sorry. You're allowed to feel something too." He says as he holds my hand up with his. "I know this has been just as hard for you as it's been for me."