Chapter Seventeen!

Paige’s POV

I watched Charlotte walk down the hall feeling bad that I had forgotten to cancel our plans. It was hard though because my plans for that day had changed so much. Originally, I was going to go out with Harry. After finding out that Charlotte liked him though, I was going to call and cancel but he had already beaten me to the chase. That was completely fine with me; it’s not like I would be sitting by the phone waiting for him to call me back. I really don’t think he would anyway if he was serious with Charlotte. It seemed that he was too because why else would he have canceled? 

So after Harry canceled late Monday night, I texted Charlotte right away, asking her to hang out. I wanted to spend some time with her because I really didn’t want to go out to a club or anything and I knew with her we would just curl up on the couch and maybe watch a movie. 

Then this morning, I had gotten a text from Niall just saying hey. We got to talking and then one thing led to another and I invited him over; not realizing he was the guy from the train. I was a little surprised to see him standing there when I opened the front door but he didn’t seem to remember so I wasn’t going to be one to dwell on the past. By that time, I had completely forgotten to tell Charlotte and didn’t even think about her until she was at my door. 

Niall and I went back inside and resumed our positions on the couch. “She’s a really sweet girl.” Niall smiled at me referring to my best friend.

“Yeah, she is the best. Just love her to death!” I couldn’t help but picture her laughing face in my mind.

“I sure hope that Harry doesn’t screw it up with her.”

My insides began to knot just at the mention of his name. I hadn’t told Charlotte about what happened and I wasn't planning on it. But just because I stopped seeing him didn’t mean I felt any less guilty. If anything, I felt more. I was hiding something from her, but telling her would only hurt her. Sometimes it is best to keep the truth from the people you love the most.

“Yeah, I sure hope so too.” Since I had Niall here, I thought it would be the best way to get some information out of somebody close to Harry so I could know if he would actually break her heart or not. “Has Harry ever really had a serious girlfriend since the band started?”

“Well he dated Caroline for three months. It lasted a lot longer than any of us thought considering the age difference.”

“Oh,” was all I managed.

“He isn’t a bad guy at all, I swear. He’s just young and wants to have some fun but I think if he truly did like somebody, that he wouldn’t fool around with anybody else. He isn’t the guy everybody makes him out to be.”

“I see. It’s just that,” I wasn’t exactly sure where I was going with this, “Charlotte is my closest friend. I would never want to see here get hurt.” Especially because of me, I added under my breath.

“What was that last part?” Niall looked at me slightly confused.

Guess I’m not as quiet as I thought I was. “What? Oh nothing,” I tried to cover up but failed miserably.

“Really, ‘cause it sounded like you said ‘Especially because of me.’ Why would it be because of you? What did you do?”

“I didn’t do anything,” I managed to get out while I looked at his blonde locks instead of his blue eyes.

“You know Paige, you aren’t a very good liar.”

“You know Niall, you aren’t very good at minding your own business,” I mimicked back in my failed attempt of an Irish accent back.