Chapter Thirty Three

We all stop in our tracks and look at the screen with the women in white.

"...My name is Doctor Ava Paige. I'm Director of Operations with the World in Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this that means you successfully completed the Maze Trials," the women, Ava says. Her voice seems relatively calm.

Our group slowly starts gathering around the screen.

"I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you," I can tell by the look in her eyes that she has t gotten any sleep in awhile. "...but circumstances seemed to have prevented it. I hear by now you all must be very- confused, angry, frightened."

I start to notice other doctors in white lab coats rushing around in the back ground.

"I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason."

I glance at my friends who all have their frightened eyes locked on the screen.

"You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world."

Then a video starts playing, and Ava's voice still calmly talking. My heart starts racing again. It seems to be all it ever does.

"Billions of lives, lost to fire, famine, suffering on a global scale."

I intertwine my hand with Newt's, squeezing it so tight after seeing burning cities and homes and piles of burnt dead bodies.

"The fallout was unimaginable, but what came after was worse. We called it the flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain."

Videos and images of infected brains, and other disturbing things start playing. I grip onto Newt's hand even tighter, and feel my stomach knotting up with disgust.

"It is violent, unpredictable... incurable."

"...or so we thought. In time a new generation emerged that could survive the virus, suddenly there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed inside harsh environments, where there brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to understand what makes them different... what makes you different. You may not realize it, but your very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. As you'll no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared, it may be too late for us... for me... but not for you. The outside world awaits."

The rushing people start holding guns in their hands and running around the room frantically.

"Remember," Ava says while pulling a gun to her head.

WAIT WHAT?

"WICKED is good..."

And with that the trigger is pulled.

Everyone else pulls their heads away, but I don't. My tearful eyes stay locked onto the screen. I don't even know why I didn't look away! I couldn't! It's as if everything starting from Ava picking up the bullet went in slow motion. I watched as the bullet glided through the air and land right into her temple. I watched the blood seep through the wound and shoot over the camera. I watched Ava Paige's lifeless face as she proceeded with falling dramatically to the floor.

I'm still staring at the screen when Thomas's voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"Gally....?