Chapter Three

14 months later

2 years. We've been in the Glade for 2 years. That's unbelievably crazy. Has it really been that long? What have we even done in that time? Most days feel dragged on, but somehow we manage to occupy ourselves.

It's bizarre to think that over a year ago we lost George, because that day haunts me every so often. We've moved tried to move on with our lives instead of mourning in sadness, but how can you really ever forget that? It was especially hard for Nick, since they were so close. But I think he has gotten better, and he has become pretty close with Zart and Winston.

Now, we have a total of 28 Gladers. Things seem to be running pretty smoothly. We made Alby our First in-command, which means he is basically the leader. It just made sense because he was the first to come up in the box and is one of the most responsible . Newt is now Second in-command, so if anything would to happen to Alby, Newt would be our new leader.

Everyday is similar, but different in a way, you know? My friends and I have lots of fun together, like last week for example. Well the result wasn't fun at all, and Alby was annoyed. Anyways, Winston had figured out a stupid trick to do with some matches. If you light it up then fart into the tiny flame it bursts up into a giant one. I don't even want to know how he figured that out, but it was hilarious.

But he made the mistake of showing us inside of Newt, Minho, and Frypan's hut. The flame caught onto the hammock, which lead it to spread. Luckily we got out of there in time, but that place was a goner.
Gally and the rest of the builders are working this week on building them a new hut, one that's more sturdy as well. Until then, the boys had no where to stay so I offered that they could share my shed. On one condition— if they snored too loud then I would kick them out. They are all my close friends so I didn't really mind. It was weird sharing with them, because I haven't shared a room with anyone since my first month here. And I did make them sleep on the floor because I don't have another cot or hammock.

I have to admit though, it is nice knowing there are people in your room by your side. I've been getting these brutal nightmares each night. I like knowing my friends are always there if I need them. My sleep schedule has been so off as well, and I'm awake probably half the night.

Tonight I had the worst nightmare. In it I was wandering around the Glade in the middle of the night and all of the sudden I turned my head to see there was a group of people standing there in the woods. The thing was these weren't normal people at all. They looked like what I would assume zombies looked like. In a blink of an eye they were coming straight towards me. I was screaming at the top of my lungs but I didn't move. I just stood there and let them eat me alive. But then someone pushed me aside. Newt. Newt stood there and let them eat him alive. What made it worse was that it was so realistic.

When I woke up I shot into a sitting position and was all out of breath. I felt my eyes with tears but I didn't want to cry over this. I must have woken the boys because they were all standing around me with worried faces. It was also still dark so it must be the middle of the night.

"Teddy?" Newt said in a genuinely worried voice. "You alright?" He sat down next to me.

I haven't told anyone about my nightmares. Not even Newt. And I tell him everything.

"Wha- yeah," I lie, catching a breath. "I'm fine."

Minho scoffs. "Yep. Must be all fine! Waking the whole Glade while she's asleep doesn't mean anything at all!" He said sarcastically.

My eyes widened. Woke the whole Glade?

I blinked and a single tear trickled down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away, refusing it. Newt inched closer and pulled me into a hug. I started crying. In that moment I felt so weak. Crying over just a stupid nightmare? It's not even real! But it feels real.