Chapter Twenty Six

Teddy's POV

With my book in hand, I quickly run out of the Kitchen. Hopefully Newt didn't see me, but I doubt it. I honestly don't even care at this point. I make my way through the dark Glade, which is only barely lit up by lanterns in the distance. I can still feel the huge pain in my knee, and I can tell it's not going away any time soon.

I limp swiftly to the tree by the gardens, the one Newt and I always sit at. Plopping myself down, I open my book.

Over the past few years I've discovered that reading can be my only escape from reality.

I can barely see in this lighting, and it's extremely difficult to make out any words in my book. Feeling frustrated and tired, I slam my book shut. At this point I just wanna bang my head into the cement Maze wall, just like George did who knows how long ago. I feel gross and all I wanna do is crawl into my bed and sleep for the rest of my life. No interactions with anyone, no one bothering me, and no tensions between my best friend and I!

Gripping my hair tightly, tears dread to come. Mostly because of Newt and I. What was going on between us? Why are things so awkward?
"All I ever want in my god damn life time is answers!" I whisper shout, with tears trickling down my cheeks without my consent.

I rip handfuls of grass out of the ground and throw it straight into the ground.
All's I was to do it scream and kick and shout and cry! And I want my Newt back! I can't have things like this between us!

More tears began quickly streaming down my face and it felt like my heart is screaming. My body wrenched with every choking sob, and each one released more and more energy leaving me feeling weak and tired, more than I already was.

Why am I even crying?! I question myself. Is it really just because of Newt?

Sometimes it's good to let out, I reassure myself.

Newt's POV

I didn't know where Teddy went, but I know exactly where she will be. I start speed walking (or limping) to our tree, the one by the gardens.

As slowly approach it, and I can see her figure in the dark. Her head is in her hands and she has her knees pulled to her chest. I can see her leg bouncing nervously, something she tends to do a lot.

Is she crying? I ask myself concerned, stopping in my tracks.

I continue walking closer to her.

"Teddy?" I say out loud. But I'm surprised by my own voice, it came out raspy and filled with sorrow.

Her head quickly jumps back, turning around to find the voice.

As soon as she sees me she wipes her tears, smiles, and plasters on a fake smile.

I can see her at a loss for words. "Can I sit with you?" I ask breaking the silence.

Her fake smile twitches, as if the frown will come out in any second, and she'll burst into tears. "Uhm, oh yeah. Go ahead." Her voice shivers and I know she's choking up inside.

Teddy's POV

Why is he here?! I think to myself as Newt sits down next to me. I know he knows  I've been crying, I can see the pity in his eyes.

As soon as he sat down beside me, everything about us felt so foreign. Nothing hurts more than watching the person you care about the most turn into a complete stranger.
I'm not gonna let something so stupid ruin this friendship!

"Newt," I sigh, my lips quivering. "I'm so sorry- that I yelled at you."

He shakes his head and speaks softly. "Don't be. I can understand why you didn't want to give Alby the serum."

"I don't like not talking to you," i scoff.

I can feel him smiling. "Neither do I."

He takes my cold hand into his warm one, which sends butterflies in my stomach. Wait what? Butterflies? Newt has held my hand millions of times before this one, and I'm just realizing the feeling. My heart starts racing. No! I think to myself of what Minho said earlier. I do not have a crush on Newt!

You don't have to deny it, Teddy. I hear Minho's voice telling me.
I can feel myself tensing up. My palm is probably getting sweaty. I feel my heart race even more, and my face turning uncomfortably hot. Good thing it's dark out.

"I don't like it when you cry," Newt tells me.

I smile at his thoughtfulness. "I know," I whisper, choking up.

He's so kind to me, and for what!?

"I don't know what I ever did to deserve you!" I let my tears fall.

He pulls me into his chest, and I tightly hug him. I cry onto his shirt, probably drenching it with tears.

Newt's POV

We sit like this for what feels like forever. But I enjoy every minute of it. Sitting against our tree, I cradle Teddy in my arms. She buries her face into my chest, sobbing. I stroke her hair, and just hold her.

Soon after she stops crying, she falls asleep. I should probably take her to her bed.

I give her a kiss on her forehead, and pick her up bridal style.

I carry her across the Glade to her little hut, and set her onto her bed ever so gently.
"Goodnight, Teddy." I whisper, kissing her again on her forehead.

I walk into the dark Glade, to my own hut. It may be a bit early, but I'm exhausted.

As I open the door I see Minho and Fry laying in there cots talking, and I quickly become shocked and confused when I notice my hammock isn't  there.

"Um guys?" I say.

"Yeah?" Frypan replies.

"Where in the bloody hell is my hammock??"

"About that..." Fry starts.

"A rat got in here somehow and chewed a hole through the middle," Minho says blankly. "You'll probably fall through if you sleep on it. Which is why we took it out."

"So where the shuck do you expect me to sleep?" I say annoyed.

"I'm sure Teddy wouldn't mind sharing." Minho states.

I sigh. "There was no 'rat' was there?"

"I guess you'll never know," Fry says, fist bumping Minho.

"You slintheads," i murmur, walking towards Teddy's hut.

Quietly I open the door to her hut. It makes a slight squeaky sound, but nothing that'll wake her up.

"Pssst," I whisper, tapping Teddy lightly. "Minho and Fry kicked me out. Can I sleep with you?"

She flutters her eyes open a bit, "uhm yeah, mmhm."

She sounds and looks half asleep, but I take that as a yes.

I open the covers and climb into the tiny bed.

Our shoulders are touching and I get deja vu from a while ago, after Winston caught out hut on fire and Minho, Fry and I had to room with Teddy.

I roll onto my side, my back facing Teddy, trying to find a comfortable position. Suddenly I feel an arm wrap around my torso, and I peer over my shoulder to see Teddy asleep and hugging me. I smile her, she looks much more at ease than earlier. I turn around, so I'm facing her. Her arms crawl around my torso again, and I pull myself closer to her. The top of Teddy's head sits just below my chin, and she buries her face into my chest.

Is she really asleep? I wonder to myself.

Every breath she exhales tickles my chest and makes butterflies form in my stomach. I feel my heart racing and a grin forcefully forming across my face.

What is happening to me? I question myself, wondering why I'm getting these strange feelings around her lately-

Then, i realized.

Oh shit, I nearly say out loud.

I think I'm in love with Teddy.