Chapter Seventeen

Newt's POV

"He's not gonna make it!" Teddy yells, lunging forward into the Maze.

I still have her hand, and pull her back. Tears are shedding down my eyes. First Minho and Alby? Now Thomas? I cannot let Teddy go in there!

"NEWT!"  She screams, "LET GO!"

Tears continue falling down my cheeks. I've never ever heard her scream that much.

All of the sudden the, she yanks her hand out of mine, and leans into me and plants a kiss on my forehead. "I'm- I'm so sorry!" She says between cries, before rushing into the closing darkness of the Maze.

"TEDDY!!!" My brutal shout echos through the closing walls, separating me from Teddy.

She ran in. I let her run! How could I do that?!

The doors come to a close. "NOOOO!!! LET ME IN!!!" I screech at the wall between sobs. "PLEASE!!" I kick and yell and throw a fit. I'm well aware I'm acting like a baby, but how could I not? My three most closest friends, including the one I was just becoming friends with, have ran into the Maze to meet a certain death.

"Hey man," I hear Frypan say from behind me. "They will make it. I assure you they will."

I collapse to the ground on my knees. "It's my fault," I sob out, "I shouldn't have let them run in!"

"Newt," Fry says kneeling next to me, with a hand on my shoulder, "that is not your fault whatsoever. You can't control what they do. Teddy is a stubborn girl, and well, Thomas is just, Thomas. We already know he won't listen."

I appreciate so much that Frypan is trying to make me feel better, but it just won't happen. There are certain people that make the world a better place by being in it. Teddy is one of those people.

Oh god! I can't even believe this is real! I sit at the front of the doors, crying and crying. I cry until all my tears have been used up. I don't even know if there are any Gladers around me but I don't even care! I just want my Teddy!

"Please..." I whisper while leaning into the wall.

~~~
Tears stain my cheeks, I can feel it. It's been who knows how long, but it's already getting dark.

"Newt?" I hear Chuck say from behind me, nearly making me jump out of my skin.

"What, Chuck?" I sniffle out, without looking at him.

"I brought you supper," he say walking over to sit next to me.

He plops down and puts a bowl of Frypan's stew in front of me. "Thanks Chuck." I say.

He nods. "I- I'm sorry about Teddy, and Minho, Alby and Thomas," he says. I can hear it in his voice that he is gonna cry, which makes my lips quiver.

A single tear falls down my cheek, but I quickly brush it away. "I miss her so much already," I whisper.

"Me too," he whispers. I look at his face only to see tears streaming down continuously.

"Oh Chuck," I say pulling him into a hug. He sobs into my shoulder. I don't really know what to do or how to comfort him, so I just let him cry.

~~~

It's now dark and getting time for bed. Chuck and I are planning to sleep in front of the doors so when they open we can see if our friends will be there

We lay down in the grass and see some Gladers walking towards us.
"Mind if we join you?" Winston asks.

"Not at all," I reply.

Everyone settles for sleep, but all I can think about is Teddy. Her kissing my forehead and sobbing out, "I'm- I'm so sorry!" I wish she was here with me! So I silently cry myself to sleep, thinking about her.