46. F*ck Mornings

THE MORNING AFTER, I WOKE UP to a raging headache and five missed phone calls.

        Aaron's room―this was Aaron's room. But how had I gotten here? The party . . . Skylar in the bathtub . . . Cody in the sink . . . Aaron making out with Brady . . . and then what? And then what?

       The realization hit me―like a bolt of lightning. I clapped one hand to my forehead, and remembering the kiss with Samantha Reyez felt about as close to electrocution as I'd ever get. Jesus fucking Christ. And Monroe―Monroe.

       Monroe had seen. Had said . . . no. What had she said?

       Everything blurred after I saw her. Jade eyes blinking, wide, and then a shadow on her face. Samantha's slurring voice in my ear, saying, saying, saying―

      God. I had no idea what she'd said. 

      With one shaky hand, I picked up my phone. Scrolling through the five calls: Claudia. Aaron. Aunt Whitney. And two unknown numbers.

      Either call them back, or think harder about what happened last night between me and Monroe.

      Okay, I thought. And I dialed Claudia's number.

      The second the call connected, she squealed into the phone. "Talia!"

      I held the speaker at arm's length. Wincing. "Claudia. Yes. Hi."

      "Tell me―tell me―you got back together! Tell me you had make-up sex last night! Where's Monroe? Let me talk to her! You guys were so stupid for breaking up, I don't―"

      "She's not here," I mumbled.

      "She's not―you didn't get back together?"

      "No. I don't―want to remember. We went outside. That's it."

      Claudia's voice weakened. "But. She took you home. She carried you onto her motorcycle, she―you're still broken up with her? Talia, I'm going to wrangle your―"

       I hung up. Maybe I'd broken up with Monroe, but I didn't think she wanted me anymore. And I wasn't really in the mood to hear it from my little sister.

       Next was Aaron. He had left me a voicemail, so instead of calling him, I opened it up: "Hey, Tal."  Sounds of the party, and glasses shattering, reverberated behind him. Cheers and shouts and something that splashed like water.

       Oh, God. I hoped he hadn't drowned in the swimming pool.

       "Hey, sorry, Tal,"  he continued. "Background noise. Um. I know I was supposed to be your ride homebut I thinkI'm slightly intoxicated. So. I'm very, very sorry."

       And then something that sounded suspiciously like Brady's voice said: "Come on, man, let's go swimming. I know a few underwater tricks . . ."

      Except the undertone was so dirty my mouth fell open. 

      Maybe Aaron had lost his virginity last night. 

      "I probably, definitely, won't be home tonight,"  Aaron continued. "Try not toI don't know, do anything dangerous."  Like get ass-over-tits drunk? Already checked that box. "Don't be fucking stupid. Have some fun. Live a little. Fuckin' loser. Love you."

       The voicemail ended, and I found myself smiling. Just a little. No wonder I was in Aaron's bed―he wasn't home. Hadn't been home the whole night. Which meant Claudia was right, and Monroe had brought me home.