19. Scary As F*ck

I SCREAMED.

      And screamed.

      And screamed.

      "See, I told you that would get her," Skylar snickered. "All you had to was whisper boo." 

      My heart was pounding so fast it was like the beat of a drum. When I stopped screaming, the lights to the basement flickered on.

      Cody was on the floor, tears silently streaming down his face.

      But I felt the most betrayed by Aaron, who was trying to hold back a shaking fit of laughter.

      "Happy October 1st, bitch," Skylar said. "And all three of us just succeeding in scaring the shit out of someone."

      "You―hid in my basement?"  I demanded. My voice felt raw. Probably the screaming. "All three of you? And my mom just let you in?"

       "Yeah, I think her exact words were: Go right ahead, kids. Out of the two of us, I'm definitely your mom's favourite daughter."

       Two minutes ago, I had jogged down the stairs into my basement, searching for the chocolate ice cream my mom had told me to bring up. Feeling for the light switch along the wall, wholly unprepared for any noise in the silence, someone had whispered, "Boo."

       Now, Cody said, "Looks like you're the only one left who hasn't scared the shit out of someone."

       "I can't believe you did that," I said, still in shock.

       "Oh, come on." Skylar slung an arm over my shoulders. "All I said was boo. Just proves you're easily scared."

       "I was not―that was terrifying."

       "Really, Tals. Boo." 

       "I wasn't expecting anyone here! You could've been a kidnapper or―or a murderer. Or a chainsaw-wielding psychopath. I don't know!"

        "Yeah, if I was a chainsaw-wielding psychopath the first thing I'd do to my victim is whisper boo."

        "I hate you," I said. "All three of you. You ganged up against me. And even Aaron? Massive betrayal. Massive."

        "That was even better than I thought it'd be." Cody had recovered enough to wipe the tears from his eyes. "The look on your face. Jesus."

        "I'm going to hold this grudge for the next twenty-seven years."

        "Oh, please. You'll forgive us in thirty minutes."

        I crossed my arms, lifted my chin, and said, "This calls for laser tag." 

        "Laser tag?" Aaron echoed. "Like when we were in―"

        "Eighth grade?" Skylar seemed just as mystified. "I forgot about that. But―" Now, a smile formed on her mouth. "If you want to get your ass beat, Talia, all you had to do was ask. You're on." 

        "You three can be your own team. I'm going to make bring my own players. And they're going to be the best, most skilled, most amazing laser tag players there are in the whole damn city."

        "Meet us there in forty-five minutes," said Skylar. "Fuck me."

        "Fuck this," Cody added.

        Aaron shot me an I'm sorry smile. "Fuck it."

        "Fuck that," I finished.

Shut Up And Kiss Me (gxg)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें