37. New F*cking Year

"I'M SO SORRY, DIPSHIT," AARON said. "I shouldn't have coerced you into going on those slopes, I—"

       Skylar elbowed him. "What he's trying to say is that we won't force you to try athletic activities again."

       "Seriously, guys," I said, grinning as I hugged them both. "I'm fine. Where's Cody?"

       Cody had apparently drawn the short stick when it came to collecting everyone's baggage. "Oh, don't mind me," he said. "I'm just slaving away. Skylar, the fuck is in your bag? Seventy pounds of bricks?"

        "No," Skylar said primly. "It's my hair products and hygiene. A girl has to take care of herself, unlike the disgusting male species."

        "Sky!" called Lila from the other end of the parking lot. Our classmates were swarming the buses, hauling backpacks and suitcases towards their respective cars. A few people whistled, and the teachers kept trying to rein in the crowd. To no avail.

        "That's my girl," Skylar said, smiling in a way I'd never seen before. "I gotta go. See you, losers."

        I kissed her before she walked away, and she squeezed my fingers.

        "Party tonight?" I asked.

        "Why is that even a question? Of course there is."

         And then Aaron, Cody and I were left alone. But only for a few minutes, because I could see Mrs. Beckham's soccer van pull up in front of the curb.

        "Talia dear, do you need a ride home?"

        "No, that's okay," I said. "My mom is gonna pick up me and Claudia. See you tonight, though, Cody."

        "You can count on it."

        I'd known my friends for five years. And although I loved them to death, I knew something was off here. They were acting too suspiciously calm about the break-up, as if they didn't care.

        Or as if they didn't know at all.

       "Aaron?" I asked, once we were alone.

       "Yeah?"

       Someone shoved past my shoulder, and I stumbled a little. I'd been leaning my weight on my left leg, thanks to the mild sprain. Once Monroe and I had arrived, almost exactly at the same time as the buses, she'd kissed my forehead goodbye and gotten out of the car without another word.

       Aaron reached forward to steady me, one hand warm on my shoulder. "I really am sorry, Tal."

      "It's not your fault," I said, looking for any signs of hurt, betrayal. I want to break up with you. "I agreed to come with you. Don't worry about it."

       He smiled a little and ducked down to kiss me. Stunned, I couldn't help freezing. His lips were on mine for a second, but it felt like a lifetime. What the

       I moved to push him away, but he withdrew at the same time, so it seemed as though I had just planted my hands on his chest.

       From the corner of my eye, I noticed Monroe. 

       "Aaron," I gasped, and I stepped back in horror. "What was that?"

       "My apology kiss?"

       "I—I said I wanted to break up with you."

       His hazel eyes widened. "You were serious?"