4. It's Me, F*ckers

"DEVILISH JUNIPER FLOWERS  or The Latin-American Pigs?" 

      Claudia, in the sink next to mine, spat out toothpaste foam before saying, "Neither. Those suck. How about The Sex Bots?"

      "At this point, I don't even know why I ask you for advice."

      "Because my ideas are awesome. How about you name your band The Cum Glowsticks?"

      I finished brushing my teeth, swirling water around in my mouth, and shot her a glare through the mirror. 

      Claudia and I might have been sisters, but we looked completely opposite. She had inherited our mother's fair-faced colouring, with sandy-blonde hair and blue eyes. I had inherited my father's olive-skinned complexion, with brown hair and brown eyes that I honestly didn't see the appeal of.

      I was pretty―but that was all I was.

     "How is your first week of being a freshman?" I asked while drying my hands. "Life-changing?"

     "I auditioned for the cheerleading squad," Claudia said, excitement practically bursting in her shining eyes. "And today's the soccer team try-outs, but I don't know if I should bother, because I kind of suck at soccer."

     "Clauds, you love soccer. Try it out, and if you don't get in, it's not like you're losing anything."

     "Besides my pride?"

     "Come on," I said, laughing. "No one will bother you, I swear. They'll have me to deal with."

     Claudia rolled her eyes. "You're not scary. But―wait, you're right. Your name is basically a synonym to Skylar Tori's, and my friends all call her a psychopath."

     "Yeah, Sky can be a bitch," I acknowledged. "But she's good. Deep down."

     "Deep, deep down."

     "Okay, come on. Remember when she toilet-papered Uncle Adam's house because you told her what he said to you about your jeans at Thanksgiving?"

      "I'm not saying Skylar's not a good friend, I'm just saying she's terrifying. She's actually my role model."

      "Speaking of role models . . ." I was remembering what Skylar had said about looking up to Monroe. "Do you know someone named Monroe Kingston?"

      Claudia shrugged. "No, never heard of them."

      I breathed a sigh of relief.

      At least I wasn't the only one.

     ON THE WAY OUT,  I grabbed a glass of cranberry juice.

     "Really, monkey? You're not going to eat more for breakfast?"

     "Aaron's waiting for me in the driveway, and besides, he probably already picked up a bagel or something."

      My mother bit her lip. "Look, I just don't think it's healthy for you to always be rushing out and―"

      "I'll see you later, okay?" 

      Before either of my parents could say more, I darted out through the front door. Claudia took the school bus most days, but thanks to Aaron having a January birthday and his own car, he picked me up every morning.

      Aaron was already pulled up in the front. I closed the front door behind me, but stopped in my tracks at the sight of that car.

      "What," I said, "the fuck?"