Chapter 23: backstories and arguments

"I think I should share the truth about me and your mother, Eijiro," King Ryland began to speak.

"Mother?"

"I think everyone should relax, it's a long story."

Like kids about to listen to a fairytail, the crew sit down on the deck.

Kirishima and Bakugo sat down next to each other careful not to accidentally hold the other's hand.

Ryland let out a sigh and started to share the story.

"My father and mother were the rulers of the sea before me, my father being the born royal. My mother had married into the family. She wasn't of royal blood beforehand."

Kirishima looked to his father. He never really knew his grandparents, so he never knew about his grandmother not being of royal blood.

"Whenever a man or woman is married into the royal family, they are blessed with their power, their royal power. It would be the same for every person. It's called curse. It's what allows the children or royals to have their own powers," King Ryland explained.

"So when mother married you, she was given the power to curse people. That power is what allowed me and Diana to have powers," Kirishima summed up.

"That doesn't explain why King fish here knows how to use his legs," Bakugo started to say earning himself an elbow to his side by Kirishima.

"And why Toyua said 'you know the rest of the story'," Todoroki finished saying his brother's true name.

"Eijiro, your mother wasn't a true mermaid. She was a drowning human that my mother had saved. She turned her into a mermaid and introduced her to me. Whenever we were married, she gave me a temporary curse of giving me legs so we could see the surface."

Kirishima was in disbelief on what his father said. He was also confused. Did this make him half human? Was he not a true mermaid?

"No one except the royal family knew that about your mother. The public and even the servants didn't know," the king finished glancing over to Midoriya.

"Me on the other hand," Dabi started to talk, "they had found me after I gave you guys to the Bakugo's parents. I had no where else to go so the Queen cursed me to take that sea form. She saved me from having to go back to that hell whole. I just accidentally ended up in Shigiraki's territory and he twisted my mind from there."

"I have a question about mom's power," Kirishima asked.

"What is it my son?"

"Who gives the power of curse?"

The king sighed. "My mother had given it to her. The power then transferred to me once she died. I vowed never to use it and that I would pass it on to your wife."

Kirishima looked down into his lap.

"Father, I know you didn't like my reply back in the sea a while back and I still don't want a wife, but I did find someone who cares for me. He loved me before he knew I was a mermaid. He loved me before he knew I was a prince," Kirishima started to say.

"And I will keep loving him for the rest of my days. Everything about Eijiro amazes me and I would do anything for him," Bakugo finished taking his hand and grabbing Kirishima's, making sure it was visible to the king.

"What about children? There needs to be a hair to the throne!"

"What if I don't want the throne!" Kirishima immediately snapped at his father. "I was miserable under the sea. I hated how you kept me locked up in the palace. I couldn't build any relationships to the townsfolk. I only ever gotten to talk with Midoriya."

"Eijiro, is that how you truly feel? Do you want to give up your claim to the throne, knowing there is no one else in line after you!?" Ryland seemed to snap back.

That's when an idea struck him. He looked back to the green haired boy and smiled. He turned back to the king, "I proclaim that Izuku Midoriya, servant of prince Eijiro Kirishima, be the person next in line for the throne after me and I hereby renounce my claim to the throne making Izuku Midoriya the only claim to the throne remaining."

"WHAT!" The whole boat said at the same time.

"Prince Kirishima! What are you doing?! You can't do this!" Midoriya quickly said to him panicking even though Kirishima knew exactly what he was doing.

"Technically, I can do this. I'm part of the royal family and have some say in what I do that relates to what I want for my once claim to the throne. I know that you will become a great leader with a little training. You know all the laws and people of the sea. So I put you as the second in line for the throne after me and then dropped my claim. Plus I did it in front of a higher ranking official, resulting in everything being legalized, aren't I correct father?"

King Ryland seemed dumbfounded by his son's cleverness to the rules of what he can do.

"My son is correct but how do you know all this?" He asked confused by the situation.

"I actually payed attention to the laws and rules you made me read countless times," He laughed.

Bakugo just stared at Kirishima in shock.

"But your still my son and I am still your father. You will do as I say and not disobey me," Ryland angrily yelled.

Kirishima stood up and looked into his father's eyes. "I may be your son and you my be my father, but you have no control over what I do with MY life. My life isn't something that you control. I didn't ask to be born royal. I didn't ask for this life. However, I am choosing how I want to live it and if that's on the surface with a group of pirates with the person I love then you just have to accept it!" He said all this without breaking eye contact.

King Ryland had never seen this side of his son. He had never raised his voice at him before.

Kirishima was a little shocked at himself as well. He had a ton of confidence, something he never had back in the sea.

"You truly like it here then," Ryland sighed.

"Yes. More than anything."

Bakugo stood up and put his hand on Kirishima's shoulder.

"I'm going to be fighting a losing battle, aren't I," Ryland chuckled.

"Yes."

Ryland looked to Midoriya, then back to Kirishima.

"Well, if this is what the prince wishes then I should follow. Midoriya!"

Midoriya widened his eyes, "Y-Yes sir!"

"Your training starts whenever we get back to the palace. Your mother is going to so proud that you are going to become the next prince."

Midoriya was speechless. He heard everything between the two but he still couldn't believe it himself.

"Father, what about the royal power. It is tradition," Kirishima smiled looking back at Midoriya.

"There's a few things I want to do first."