Chapter 13: to the island

"Island coming up!" Kaminari yelled out from the birds nest above all the sails.

Bakugo narrowed his eyes and saw the large greenery in the distance. "We are doing a day docking on the island. No more, no less!" He shouted out to the rest of the crew on the ship.

"Island stop!" Mina cheered out causing Kirishima to burst out laughing.

"I've been here for close to 2 weeks and I still cant get used to your sudden energy changes," he continued to laugh. Mina started to laugh along with Kirishima which resulted in everyone else joining in.

Kirishima looked over to Bakugo who was concentrating on steering the ship towards the island.

The two of them barley talked to one other and when they would it would be simple yes or no questions, which Bakugo would just completely ignore.

Mina noticed the red head looking at the blonde captain.

"You should talk to him one on one," she whispered to him.

Kirishima snapped his head towards Mina already becoming a blushing mess.

"What? No. I can't. I don't know if he feels the same way? Wait. How do I feel about this? How would that conversation go? Oh god what if he finds out the truth about me. I'm pretty sure he hates mer-"

"Kiri, breathe. Calm down," Mina advised him. Kirishima looked at her with pleading eyes.

"What if he does find out about me eventually? My father isn't going to stop looking for me. I'm the only living heir to the throne."

Mina placed a hand on his shoulder. "You need to stop worrying about the future. We don't know what life is going to throw at us. Just focus on the present."

"When in hell did you get so poetic Mina?" Laughed Kaminari as he climbed down the ladder to get to the main deck.

"What are you talking about? I'm always poetic!" She stuck her tongue out to him.

Kirishima laughed at their childish actions but his face went blank when something clicked in his mind.

"Mina," he spoke out. 

She looked back at him removing her hand that was still on his shoulder. "What is it Kirishima?"

He looked in her eyes, "This is the first time I'm going to be on actual land."

Her eyes widened. "Don't you need to be by the water? What is the rule for that?" She asked quietly.

"I just need to stay hydrated. That's how I'm surviving on here. If I don't, I'll most like change back into my normal self," he warned.

The boat got closer and closer to the shore until it stopped a little from the beach on the island.

The rest of the crew gathered a few things to bring on the shore.

"Red!" Bakugo yelled out from where he was at.

"Yes captain?" He replied turning towards him.

"Come here."

Kirishima felt a weight in his chest. This was the first time in a long time they actually spoke. As he walked towards the captain, memories from the night he created that wave came to mind. Bakugo shirtless.

Heat started to rise in Kirishima's face. 'Why am I thinking about that now of all times!' He mentally yelled at himself.

He walked up the stairs and got to the ships wheel where Bakugo was waiting.

"You needed me?" Kirishima asked out.

Bakugo let out a breath. "Usually on these island stops we break up into groups to gather supplies. I see how close you are with Raccoon eyes. Are you two a couple?" He asked.

"What! Mina? No, goodness no. She's just been here for me as I got used to being on this ship. She my friend," he paused. Mina was his first friend outside the castle. "Anyway, I don't like girls like that, if you get what I'm saying." He blushed from embarrassment.

"So you're gay," Bakugo said aloud.

"Yes," Kirishima replied.

Bakugo's mind was going crazy. He was avoiding Kirishima for a reason. He couldn't understand the feelings he felt a while ago.

His heart raced at the sight of Kirishima. Bakugo concluded that whenever the boy would try to speak to him. He didn't want to ignore him but he needed to understand himself first.

"Captain, is there anything else you need to say?" Kirishima asked snapping Bakugo back into reality.

"I'll give you the choice on who you stick around during this stop. Do what you want. Everyone else knows what to do so just follow their instructions," he let out.

"Oh. Okay. Thanks captain," he replied walking back to the rest of the crew.

'Stupid! You could have asked him to stay with you!' He yelled at himself in his mind.

He truly didn't understand his feelings completely, but something about Kirishima hypnotized him.

He wanted to know and understand more about him. Even his past.

——

"Why am I on boat duty!?" Kaminari complained watching everyone get into the life boat that was connected to the side of the ship.

"Once again sparky, it's just your turn. You'll be able to go on the island next time!" Bakugo growled.

"Man, life is unfair!" Kaminari let out watching the crew be lowered into the water.

"Stop complaining or I'll make sure your on boat duty for the rest of your life!"

Kaminari was frightened by the threat. Bakugo was not not for making empty threats. He means everything he says.

Once the boat was set in the water, they began to row towards the shore.

Kirishima closed his eyes and felt the splashes of the cold salt water hit his face. He was happier with the pirates but he was still a mermaid. He missed the water.

A small smile crept onto his face as they towed closer to the shore.

"Alright, Red go with anyone you choose. All you extras know the drill. Be back right here by sunset. We'll spend the night and set sail in the morning," Bakugo commanded once they got to shore.

"Yes captain!"

Kirishima ended up going with Mina and Jiro. Once they knew they were far away from the captain, that's when Mina spoke.

"Welcome to your first time one land."