Chapter 17: backstories

Bakugo look at the boy sitting next to him. He still couldn't believe that he kissed him. His heart and mind were screaming at him still.

"What's your story? You said you and your sister were out on the sea," He asked.

Kirishima gulped at the question. He didn't want to share what he was yet to him, but he also didn't want to lie to him.

"My mom died when my little sister was born. My father was around, but me and my sister barely sat him. We took care of ourselves mostly. Whenever it was a few days before my 18th birthday, he came to me and wanted to follow a straight path of what he wanted. Not what I wanted."

He paused. "What did he want you to do, if you don't mind me asking?" Bakugo asked shockingly nice.

"He wanted me to be the perfect head of the family with a wife and kids. Then he figured out that-"

"You liked guys?"

"Exactly. He became aggressive towards me. I wanted to run away. I ran away on my 18th birthday, but my sister wanted to come along fearing for her future. That's pretty much my story," Kirishima concluded. To him it surprisingly felt nice to share his story, even if it was altered slightly.

"Wow. I would have never guessed that, that was your childhood. I see that you're friendly to the rest of the crew. I would think your mother taught you that," Bakugo softly spoke.

"Well now you know it's not quite that," he let out a small laugh. "I barely remember my mom. If I did learn something from her I probably forgot what it was."

Bakugo didn't know how to react to the last of what of Kirishima had spoke. He didn't want his emotions to accidentally give off the wrong idea.

"I guess it's my turn then," Bakugo changed the subject.

"Yeah, I don't really know anything about you, other than what Mina says."

Bakugo let out an annoyed noise. "Don't always believe what raccoon eyes says. She doesn't know everything."

"Sorry," Kirishima apologized biting the inside of his lip.

"I shouldn't have snapped. I'm sorry." Bakugo apologized.

"Tell me your story. What makes the amazing Katsuki Bakugo, Katsuki Bakugo?"

Bakugo laughed at how he worded the question. He looked up at the smiling red head. 'His smile is so adorable. I'm pretty sure I'm in love.'

"Alright then. I was born and raised in this ship. My parents were known as the sparks. My mother was the captain and my father was her right hand man. I get my short temper from her. It was just the three of us and a few of their friends but they eventually left to start their own families. I don't remember how old I was when the rest of the crew that is here came on the ship. All I remember is that they ran away from an orphanage that half and half's crappy father ran."

"It sounded like your childhood wasn't too bad," Kirshima cut in whenever Bakugo paused in his story.

"That's because that's the good part. Everything after is hell. Are you sure you want to hear it?" Bakugo asked.

"I told you about my crazy father. I think I can handle hell," he laughed but when he saw Bakugo not laughing with him, he stopped and started to listen.

"One day, there was this mermaid sitting on a rock. I knew they existed, but this was the first one I saw in person. She was beautiful too. She had jet black hair and it was wavy. Her beauty was truly breathtaking."

Bakugo smiled at the memory of the girl. Kirishima couldn't help but become jealous of this mermaid.

"My parents called down to her. They wanted to know about mermaids. They had no intent to harm her in any way shape or form. They asked if she would be able to come on the ship. I remember her coming on the ship deck and everyone gathered around. We all had buckets of water for her. She told us about life under the sea. She told us that the King was a powerful ruler and the prince cared for everyone even though he wasn't able to go out. She also told us that they had the ability to manipulate water."

Kirishima acted like he didn't know anything about mermaids. He felt honored a little that this mermaid knew about him and shared how he was caring.

"This peaked my parents interest but she said something else that made my parents go crazy." Bakugo was hesitant on sharp the rest.

"It's okay. I promise," Kirishima assured putting his hand on Bakugo's thigh, comforting him.

The blonde took a deep breath. "She had the ability to hypnotize using her voice."

Kirishima eyes widened. It couldn't be her. It couldn't had been his sister, Diana.

"My parents wanted her to use her power to get rid of a pirate crew that was giving us trouble since their teenage days. The girl refused. My parents where angry. The last thing I remember was them attacking each other. Both of my parents and the mermaid were killed. I wear my parents wedding rings in memory of them," Bakugo pulled out the chain that he kept under his clothes and revealed two rings. Bakugo had never shared the chain with the rings to anyone.

Kirishima couldn't seem to focus anymore. He stood up quickly, surprising Bakugo. He ran his finger through his hair.

"Kiri, what's wrong?" Bakugo asked not knowing if he should use Kirishima's given name and not his family name.

"This mermaid. Did she tell you her given name?" Kirishima asked looking back to Bakugo. Fear mixed with tears surfaced his eyes.

"Yeah, she did."

"What. Was. Her. Name?" Kirishima asked slowly.

"I think her name was Diana or something like that."

With that sentence, Kirishima crumbled to the floor.

Bakugo sprung up and went to him. He tried to comfort Kirishima but he only pushed Bakugo back.

"Kiri, what's wrong? Did you know her?" Bakugo didn't know what he did, but he wanted to comfort the boy in front of him even if it meant everything.

"Bakugo, do you hate mermaids?" Kirishima asked looking to Bakugo with tears invading his eyes.

"She killed my parents. How could I not? Yes my parents went crazy because of her power but they were still my parents."

"Do you love me?"

"What?"

Kirishima wiped the tears from his eyes. And stood up leaving Bakugo on the ground.

"You said you had feelings for me. I do for you. But is it just that or would you do anything for me? If I was taken away from you, would you go out and find me. I care about you and want to protect you, but I need to know if you would do the same!"

Bakugo had tears forming in his eyes. He didn't know why but he couldn't stop them.

"Do you or do you not love me?"

"I care about you. I avoided you to understand my heart. There's something about you that is so mesmerizing to me. I think I wouldn't be able to live without you. I'm pretty sure this is what love feels like and if it's not then screw it. I love you."

"I lied."

"About what?" Bakugo could feel his heart break.

"It's about who I am. I think I should introduce myself to how I should professionally say it."

Bakugo was confused. His mind and heart were yelling at him again. His mind was telling him that loving Kirishima was wrong but his heart was completely opposite.

"I am Prince Eijiro Kirishima. The crowned prince and next king of the sea. Son of King Ryland and Queen Kara Kirishima. Older brother of the late Princess Diana Kirishima."

Bakugo couldn't believe what he had just heard. "You're the mermaid prince?!?"