Unrequited...?

══════════════════

══════════════════

Fleeing Bonney's encampment had been easy, but when the two of you fled into the forest, a terrible snowstorm had hit. It wasn't all that shocking considering it was still fairly early in January when it had occurred, but the timing couldn't have been worse. You barely had the supplies necessary to last a week, even if you'd stolen a few nutritional supplements from Bonney. It wasn't nearly enough to keep you afloat though.

The only thing that really kept you on your toes for the moment was your deep-seated rage at Hawkins, at Bonney, and at the world.

Trudging through the snow for a week since Wire's death had been tedious, but you finally found a cabin in the outreaches of the forest, nestled between a cluster of redwoods and brush.

By then, the snow was thick on the periwinkles and the berries, the branches hanging low with pure white, and dripping with dew. You made it to the frost-crusted door of the cabin, giving it a preemptive tug to open it, but the thickness of the ice around it made it impervious to brute force. Well, brute force of your caliber. Killer was a different story though.

All it took was a few slices of his scythes and two good bangs against the surface for the hinges to cave and burst, allowing a flood of icy wind into the musty cabin. You followed close after Killer, Mayhem held in the air, ready for combat, before you relaxed at the lack of walkers.

"Home sweet home..." Killer muttered silently, a puff of frost billowing from the holes of his mask as he set down his pack on the ground with a creak, the wooden floorboards groaning and cracking with every heavy step of the alpha.

    Once he was settled in, he overturned the dusty sheets on the couch and fell down on a groan, rubbing at his masked temples with a finger to dispel the frost that had overtaken his nerves.

    "You should sit down too. Just for a second to clear your head." He patted the spot beside him, but you turned away and began fidgeting with the straps over your shoulder, unlatching Mayhem and setting it down next to the unlit fireplace before taking your time to survey the place.

    Judging by the rich, red-tinged wood that was now faded away from the weathering of time, it had been a fairly nice cabin; plush with furniture and heat. The floor plan was open, keeping everything in one large room except for the bathroom, which you suspected was behind the door tucked away in the corner between the living space and the bedroom. Though, the bed frame had been stripped of its mattress, and all that remained was the skeletal outline of what was once a decorative piece.

    You leaned over the fireplace, poking at an ashen log with a gloved finger before you heard the telltale rumble of the alpha behind you.

    "You know we can't light it, pup," He said a little sorrowfully, and you deflated, an angry scowl on your face, "The ascended will find us."