Declaration of War

══════════════════

══════════════════

The blaring horn in your ears was like a gong being struck on repeat. Your lungs ached as you ran through the compound. Smoke blocked your vision, and the acrid stench of decaying bodies mixed with the rampant pheromones; fear and rage filled your pores, rendering you virtually useless when it came to navigating your way back to Kid, who was the only one with access to the armory. Without Dawnbreak, or either of your battle axes, you could do little in the way of defending, much less going on the offensive.

    Though you could barely see three feet ahead, you heard the screams of people -- children -- running, and being gorged upon by the walkers, their terrified blood-curdling shrieks drowning out the incessant buzz in your head. A minute into the chaotic battle, and you'd already lost Kid and Sabo, as well as sight of Killer and a few others.

    You crouched low, hackles rising as a dangerous look crossed your features. You were transitioning into your fight mode, as flight wasn't really an option right now. Luckily, you were able to evade a few chowing walkers, and even pulled some off of the children before ushering them to safety -- even knowing full well there was no place safe from Hawkins.

    In the midst of it all, Heat was able to find you through sheer dumb luck, and recognizing Kid's pheromones in the air; no doubt bleeding from your glands out of panic, he sidled up to you and forced a small dagger into your hands. Through quick words, he explained that he'd gotten it from a Whisperer he killed, but without your usual weapons, taking on a horde of this caliber would be a lot harder than usual. Honestly, the dagger looked more like a shiv than anything and would prove to be rather useless on the battlefield, but it beat using your fists. You weren't the most muscular, nor the most athletic, so holding your own would prove rather difficult. That was the main reason you strung Smoothie up to a chain and hid amongst the walkers like the Whisperers had. You were far too weak, in terms of strength, and overall genetics -- being a beta and all -- to stand a chance on a battlefield as chaotic as this without running the risk of being bitten, or worse, cleaved in half by a hidden Whisperer.

    Cowardly as they were, these Whisperers used the walkers to take out their enemies, or deplete them of their energy before swooping in and slaughtering the little that remained. It was boneless, but smart nonetheless; and admittedly, you used these tactics on the road when you were alone. Yet, that option of evasion wasn't really on the table right now. Not when three walkers were lunging for you. You only just barely repelled them, but even then, it was only possible with the help of Heat.