*                 *               *

I shut my laptop, deciding to put a break on the notes I was studying. My brain was fried, I needed to rest.

I had Economics test at five, hence the reason I had my eyes fixed on the screen and my notes since morning.

It was currently quarter to twelve noon and I was the only one in the room.
The rest had left for their various lectures.

Mine didn't start until one.

I walked to the mini fridge Chris's mom had brought for our room a week ago when she came to visit him.

She was a very kind and generous woman. That Sunday, she actually prepared a meal for all of us. She got us sorted for three days straight.

Boys and their teasing. Immediately she left, you should have seen how they wouldn't stop teasing and calling Chris a 'mummy's boy', especially Samuel.

    It was funny though.

Replacing the cork of the water bottle, I put it back in the fridge and closed it.

   I was thinking of preparing something small to eat. Maybe it was the slight hunger setting in that was causing my brain to be slow in grasping what I was studying.

I opened my provisions bag, taking out a box of cornflakes and canned evaporated milk.

I double-checked if the doors were locked before undoing the buttons of my long sleeved shirt and shrugging it off to enjoy fresh air. This place is rather warm during the day but colder at night. I pulled the afro wig off my head, exposing my cornrow braids and left the wig on top of my bed.

I exhaled, fanning myself with the shirt as I prepared my cornflakes, setting the bowl on that small dining table at the center of the room.
A cluttering noise followed by hooting and hilarious laughter came from the room next to ours. I sighed, shaking my head. Gentility House can never be dead silent.

I crossed my legs, Indian style, spooning some maizey goodness into my mouth. 

I savoured the goodness out of it, my taste buds awakening at the crunchiness and milky flakes. I moaned softly with my eyes partly closed, taking my time to eat and relish every bit of it. For a sec, I didn't even want to swallow.

Knock knock knock.

My eyes perked open at once, directing to the door. Knock knock knock.

  "Sam? Open up boy."

I hiccuped.

Froze, darting from the door to my half eaten meal and back. Without further delay, I stuffed all of it into my mouth, spoon after spoon. I'll swallow it later.

I rushed to my locker, covering the bowl and shutting it inside, all this while, forcing my hands through my shirt.

Now I know how big of a task buttoning a shirt can be. I couldn't even get one button through the hole without my fingers slipping.

  "SAM? Are you asleep? Open this door,"Jordan's persisting knocking was doing me no good.

Finally getting done with the last buttonhole, I rushed for my wig, forcing my braids in it.

    Ugh I shouldn't have taken them off in the first place!

     "SAAM?!"

"C-coming,"I shouted as I fixed the afro and checked in the handmirror if it was okay.