Chapter 46 - Goodbyes

As promised, Samuel was allowed an early entrance to the courtyard before Saorsa's citizens were allowed in and he could hear them already gathering in the reception hall. Snow had been cleared from the aisles to make walking easy and safe, but the trees and garden beds were coated in a fresh layer of perfect white snow that was lightly falling again. The aisles were still set up with the flowers, ribbons, and candles around the chairs, but instead of the beautiful arch Cerno and Kinsley were to stand under to join their hands in marriage, there were three white caskets. Behind each casket was a painting surrounded by lavish floral arrangements; Marissa, Kinsley, and Zakkari forever smiling back at those who gaze upon their portrait.

Samuel knew Marissa's guilt was cleared thanks to the evidence held against him. He sighed, knowing even if the evidence didn't point at him, it wasn't Marissa who hurt Kinsley or Zakkari—she never had ill intentions against either of them. Stepping up to her casket first, his brow furrowed at how peaceful she looked. She was dressed in a pale blue dress and her hair was gently laying over her shoulders with a few red poppies tucked into her hair behind one ear.

Next, he walked past Kinsley's casket to Zakkari. Zakkari and Kurt were unstoppable paired together, and it was paining him at how all three of these young adults were taken too soon. Zakkari had just started dating Marissa as her and Jordan had a big falling out, and the boy had been so smitten over her. He reached out and touched Zakkari's chest, saying a small prayer over him. After he straightened Zakkari's tie and the lapel of the young man's dark gray suit, he looked up at the only casket he had left to visit. He suddenly found it extremely hard to move.

Samuel was slow to step up to the side of Kinsley's casket. Looking in, he found it even harder to breathe. While he had already been crying saying goodbye to Marissa and Zakkari, Kinsley hit his emotions the hardest. They had dressed her in the gown she was to wear for Cerno today. It was as white as the snow around them, with embroidery down her sleeves and a shimmering diamond-like belt adorning her middle like an empire dress. Kinsley had pearls in her hair and diamonds sparkling from her ears, and she looked like she could just open her eyes and smile up at him. "I'm so sorry, Kins," he said softly as he sobbed. "I'm so sorry I couldn't walk you down the aisle today. Please continue to lead Cerno...he needs you the most." After gazing over her for another few moments, he leaned over and gently kissed her cold forehead.

"Sam, we need to start letting guests in," Kurt said softly, watching Samuel stay leaned over Kinsley's casket. At his words though, Samuel stood up straight and immediately started back toward him, wiping his face with a tissue he had plucked from one of the rows of chairs. "I'm sorry," he said.

"No, it's okay," Samuel replied with a furrowed brow and a much more solid tone. "I got far more time to say goodbye than I was expecting." Samuel took the cloak Kurt held out for him and he gently ran his hand over the embroidered symbol of the Guardians, knowing this was going to be the last time he would ever be able to wear one of these cloaks. While he was to be kept out of sight, none of the public knew he was the one being blamed for the murders—Cerno being careful to keep Samuel's name out of the public records for his protection.

The line of Guardians stood along the back of the courtyard, looking as if they were there for protection of the people, but they were there mainly just to task their prisoner. People began to trickle out of the building and find seats to occupy, and the area quickly filled over the next 20 minutes.

"If only we could find a Resurrectionist," Samuel stated softly for only Kurt to hear.

"If only," he replied. "But at this point, it wouldn't make any difference. It's been a week and most souls pass on within the first few hours after death. Even if we could find someone with a forbidden source, their souls are most likely out of reach. Only the cursed and damned get trapped in purgatory."