11: Turning Tides

"Hey, was that that runaway kid?" Beomgyu approached turning his gaze from the door to the boy behind the counter.

Taehyun let out a heavy sigh, glancing at the door then the boy approaching. "Yes...that was him."

"Ya, why are you still helping him? And where's his friend too?" Beomgyu asked the questions back to back, leaning his side against the counter.

Beomgyu gave Taehyun a prompting look which the younger tried to ignore. He fidgeted underneath the counter, almost entirely out of Beomgyu's view.

"I'm still working." Taehyun muttered, looking down at his todo list, which he already completed.

"Don't you get off in a few minutes?" Beomgyu questioned, still looking at Taehyun.

"I have to wait until Seungmin gets here." Taehyun answered, taking a rag from under the counter to wipe his workspace down. "I told you that you didn't need you to come here until I texted."

Beomgyu huffed, backing away from the counter and looking around. Finding the store completely empty other than them in it, Beomgyu turned back to the cashier almost looking hopeful.

"Still, there's no one here, you can't talk in the meantime?" Beomgyu insisted, crossing his arms over his chest.

Taehyun only showed Beomgyu a small glare and shook his head. He did his busy work from behind the counter without another word. Quite technically, because no one is in the store, he could be talking to Beomgyu. But he didn't entirely feel like having that conversation at the moment, he wanted time to mentally prepare for whatever would come out it it.

Both boys jumped when the bell chimed, signifying someone entered the store. They both looked over to see a boy with a tote bag over his shoulder and round glasses resting on his nose. Beomgyu instantly got out of the way, moving off to the side of the store by the entrance.

"Hey Seungmin." Taehyun called out to his coworker with a plain tone.

The boy nodded and waved his hand in acknowledgement, instantly going to the back to get ready. Taehyun finished cleaning his station, looking over the rest of the store for anything else that needs checking up on.

"Mom, I said I was going to be with Taehyun for the afternoon....Yes, I know mom....Yeah I'll be safe....Yes mom....Yeah, I guess I'll contact dad later....Okay, yeah, okay mom, bye." Beomgyu ended a call Taehyun didn't even realize the boy received.

"Alright, go clock out." Seungmin reappeared with his work vest on and a beret on his head.

The coworkers switched places, Taehyun rushing to the back room to change.

"I thought you two were taking a break from each other, why are you here?" Seungmin didn't waste time before asking the question to the younger boy in the corner.

Beomgyu scoffed, moving to stand besides the counter again. He put his phone back in his pocket and glanced around, avoiding eye contact. Seungmin checked his station briefly before looking at the boy with a look that could resemble distaste.

"Taehyun agreed to meet up today, that's why I'm here. Why do you care?" Beomgyu remarked, trying to hide the anger in his tone.

"Jeez, calm down. I can see the anger in your eyes." Seungmin said plainly, rolling his eyes afterwards. "I'm only asking because I care about my coworker who's been acting strange these past couple of days. And I have a peaking suspicion that you may have caused his mood change."

Taehyun reappeared in his casual clothes, backpack over his shoulder. He hurriedly approached and smiled towards the oldest in the store. Beomgyu gave Seungmin a mean glare before showing Taehyun a look of the complete opposite manner.