05: Twenty Questions

Soobin led Yeonjun through a part of town that the shorter couldn't say he's ever been in before. The landscape wasn't entirely different, but some buildings were definitely more well-kept than others. From where they turned, Yeonjun assumed that Soobin lived in some sort of apartment. The building looks to be three stories tall with all of the entrances to the homes on the outside.

They stopped in front of a door on the backside of the first story. Soobin bit his lip as his hand hovered over the doorknob. He glanced over his shoulder at shorter with his puppy eyes.

"I think my parents are home." Soobin whispered, so low that Yeonjun standing not even a foot away and a hard time hearing him.

"Just go straight to your room, I can hide in there if they call for you." Yeonjun said at the same level, reassuring the taller with a nod. "Don't worry, I'm right behind you."

Soobin nodded his head repeatedly, turning the doorknob and opening the squeaky door. They snuck inside, Yeonjun not even paying attention to the layout or decorations, purely focusing on the taller and staying quiet. From the sound of it a television was on and someone was loudly snoring nearby.

A few quiet steps later Soobin pushed open a door, stepping inside with Yeonjun following in after. The door didn't even make a sound when it closed. The two boys let out small breaths of relief.

Yeonjun took in the room, a strange achy feeling in his heart. The room held a twin bed, a nightstand and a dresser, hardly having room for anything else.

"What now?" Soobin whispered, gaining Yeonjun's attention.

To avoid making any more noise, Yeonjun pointed to his backpack while raising a brow. Soobin seemed to of gotten the hint, tiptoeing to his bed and kneeling besides it. He dragged out a bag and placed it on his bed, emptying various school supplies out of it and onto the mattress.

While Soobin was doing that Yeonjun had cautiously opened the dresser drawers, tossing clothes out of it onto the bed. There wasn't a lot to go through, which was both good and sad. Soobin just grabbed everything, folding it tightly and stuffing it into the bag. He reached under the bed again, pulling out another pair of shoes and putting it in the bag as well.

Yeonjun turned and crouched besides Soobin, getting close to the taller to whisper where his voice wouldn't be heard.

"If you have anything else of value or you just want, make sure to take it." Yeonjun tried to keep his voice as quiet as he could. You won't be coming back here under my watch.

Soobin stood and moved to the wall, moving aside a picture frame Yeonjun didn't take notice of before. The taller pulled out some money that he had hidden there, putting it in the outer pocket of the backpack. He also grabbed a few books that he originally took out of the bag, putting them back inside since he could spare the room.

Yeonjun waited for a confirming look from the taller. Soobin slipped on a worn jacket hanging on the back of the door, putting on the backpack afterwards. He looked around the room briefly before putting his hand on the doorknob. Together they slipped back out of the room.

Passing through the living room, the duo paused when a different door opened from the opposite side of the place. An older looking woman stood there, unfocused eyes finding the two figures.

"Soobin, who and what the fu—"

Instinctively, Yeonjun grabbed onto the tallers wrist probably with too much force, dragging him outside of the house. The man on the couch had woken up, taking action as well, chasing the two younger boys while yelling curses and slurs.

He hadn't ran this fast in a while, and Yeonjun had to admit he missed this adrenaline rush. Soobin could hardly keep up with him, stumbling a few times when they took sharp turns or when Yeonjun would randomly burst faster.