Field Full of Flowers

Start from the beginning

In some nights that the woman managed to sleep well, the angel kept her company and let nothing disturb her peaceful slumber. Because he knew that once she woke up, she will feel the symptoms of her ailment again. And even for a moment, he wanted her to be comfortable.

The angel had always given his person the privacy she deserved when it came to some aspects of her life. He had stayed out of the room whenever she was with her past lovers or when she's in the bathroom; even when she was talking with her doctors. He did all of those things out of his own free will and out of respect to the female he had been watching over.

But this time, he could not bare to leave her alone in that room with the stern looking doctor. He knew she needed some kind of support. Even if she could not see him, he wanted to be there for her.

"Look, there it is," the doctor tilted the screen towards the woman. "Your baby's developing well, mommy."

The sonogram echoed with the loud heart beats as both the woman and the angel looked at the black and white image on the screen. For the last three months, he had no idea that his human was bearing another life in her.

"Goodness!" The angel gasped with a gleeful smile across his face.

He was doing tiny jumps and was squealing when a realization hit him. He wasn't protecting just one soul now. He was responsible with this tiny spark of life too until they were born and given an angel.

"Make sure to keep taking your vitamins and eat well," the doctor reminded after the session. "And no more heavy lifting, okay?"

The woman only nodded with a guilty smile on while caressing her growing tummy. The angel knew why she was like that. Living alone was tough. She had to work several jobs a week and having a proper meal was hard to come by. But he knew she was doing her best. She was living the best she can despite her circumstances.

"Why are you here!?"

Standing in front of him outside the delivery room was the same masked grim reaper. The angel quickly ran toward the room's door to block him from ever coming near it.

"Calm down, angel, I am only visiting. I have another soul to take," he replied sitting on the bench and checking his watch. "Although his doctors are doing their best, his time is running out fast."

"Why can't you wait in his room then? Stay away from my humans. There will be two of us guarding them in a few minutes. You have no place here, reaper."

"Your human is still currently under my jurisdiction, angel. Sooner or later, I will come for her and you will have to deal with it."

The angel made a face at him. "Not if I can keep her safe and you away."

Unaffected, the grim reaper tilted his head up at the angel from where he was seated. Their eyes met but both did not want to back down. After a few minutes, a faint sound of a cry rang and the angel broke their staring contest before hurrying back in the delivery room.

"Why is no one still assigned to guard you? Where is your angel, little one?" The angel leaned down at the giggling baby on the bed. "They sure are putting a lot of pressure on me by doing this."

He was so sure that another angel will arrive the moment he was born. And yet, there he was, alone with two people to look after. A mother-and-child tandem nonetheless.

"So, you can see me, huh?" The angel said, hovering over the child who kept laughing while looking up at him. "You sure are one happy soul, little one. Look at those cute dimples. I can watch you all day but your mother is just so accident prone. She needs me more than you do."