A Different Beginning ~ Part 14 ~ Updated: 12/30/14 Late evening

A Different Beginning ~ Part 14 ~ Updated: 12/30/14 Late evening 

“Sang! Marie! Hurry up its time to go!” My father’s voice called up the stairs. 

I was sitting at the edge of the bed having been ready to go for the last hour. After another night with little sleep my brain had thought it would be a good idea to prepare for the next day. I had washed my face and teeth, skipping breakfast because of the nauseous feeling still in my stomach, and put on a long black skirt and slipped a red and pink blouse on being very careful that they hid the bandages covering me. 

Slipping my bag over my shoulder I made my way down the stairs and out to the car. No one said anything throughout the car ride so I spent my time staring out the window wondering what the boy’s were doing. 

A couple of minutes later, we pulled up to the school. I moved slowly to the school walking behind my father and sister who walked side by side talking about the school and people who were walking into it. 

As we stepped through the front doors of the school I noticed the boys off to the side in a group. North was the one to notice me first and his eyes widened and then narrowed. Are you okay? He mouthed and I shook looking at my father and sister walking a head of me. I casted my eyes down to the floor and followed the two not making eye contact again. 

It was a little while later that I could carefully slip away from my father and sister. My father was showing Marie what classes would be good to take and I had asked about one on the opposite side of the room and had been given permission to go and look around by myself. 

I moved to the lobby area looking for the boys when all of a sudden someone knocked into me sending me to the ground. My breath lost I coughed hard pain radiating up my back and chest. Oh no. Not now. I glanced up slowly standing moving slowly and I met a stern faced man. 

“What are you wearing?!” He yelled at me and I glanced down looking at my clothes scared. “You have to go home. You are not allowed to register for classes until you put on a longer skirt!” My eyes widened trying to grasp the concept when all of a sudden Dr. Green materialized at my side. 

“Mr. McCoy? Is there something wrong?” He stepped behind me and whispered just so I could hear “Back.” I felt a hand on my back holding me up as pain continued to radiate down my front. 

“No Dr. Green. This young lady was about to leave. Her skirt is to short for school and she is to go change.” He hissed at Dr. Green and I paled. 

“But the code book states that skirts are allowed if the young woman wears them and they are an inch above her finger tips. Miss could you please lower your hands?”  Dr. Green commented and my eyes widened and I put my hands down showing plenty of room from the hem of my skirt to my finger tips. 

I heard a grunt and Mr. McCoy disappeared throwing glares at Dr. Green. Before I could even turn around I felt a hand in mine and I flinched as Dr. Green lead me down a hall way and into a set of offices. He threw open a door and Mr. Blackbourne sat startled  behind a desk. 

“Dr. Green?” Those silver eyes found mine and his eyes widened standing up offering me his seat. “Ms. Sorenson please sit.” He whispered and I nodded a little shifting to the chair and wheezed out a breath before closing my eyes.    

“Pookie I need you to tell me how you are feeling.” Dr. Green’s hands found my neck and I jumped a little but didn’t pull away. My eyes flashed open as I wheezed and his fingers found my pulse and I met his eyes. 

“Hurts…” I whispered finally admitting I was in pain. 

“What happened?” Mr. Blackbourne came over to my side. 

“Mr. McCoy ran right into her and knocked her down.” Dr. Green whispered removing his hand from my neck. “Cheek.” He whispered and softly caressed my cheek and I closed my eyes again. “She was pale to begin with as well. North messaged when she came in.”  

“Ms. Sorenson?” My eyes opened slowly and found Mr. Blackbourne shifting closer. “Is the pain medication not working?” Dr. Green’s eyes widened and looked at me expectantly. My hand rushed up to my lips trembling. 

“Pookie does it make you nauseous?” Dr. Green whispered and I nodded very slowly. “Pookie you need to tell me this okay?” I nodded again and kept my eyes focused on the floor shaking. 

“Sorry..” I whispered and a finger slipped under my chin making me jump but it didn’t disappear and I was guided to look at Mr. Blackbourne. 

“It is okay. Do you want to rest in here for a little while?” I nodded feeling like I could finally relax and maybe get some sleep. 

“I would like to… but..” I wheezed a little and bit my lip. “I need to sign up for classes still.” 

Dr. Green’s eyes widened a little and he smiled. “Well we are teachers ya know.” He clicked at Mr. Blackbourne’s computer and pulled up a list of classes. 

My chair moved and Mr. Blackbourne pushed it forward so that I could see the screen better. A few minutes later I was registered for a number of AP courses, a violin class that Mr. Blackbourne would be teaching, and Dr. Green’s Japanese class. I smiled at the list happy that I had everything I wanted.