33. The Political Feast

-So close, yet so far-

Zaroon

Sitting on a chair, with his head in his hands, Zaroon sat exhausted while pulling on his hair in pure frustration and absently staring at the marble floor. Closing his eyes momentarily, his gaze then moved up and swayed around the golden room, looking around at the glamourous surroundings in a notion of pure defeat.

The crowd was so alive. 

He had lost his job, his dignity, confidence, strength, bravery

He had lost his job, his dignity, confidence, strength, bravery...everything. Everything he had been told by the rich hands of his lands had been a sheer lie. His passion and loyalty were lost completely. It had been so long since he had to fight this battle of what was wrong...what was right...he had been so fierce sure of his truth. 

Now he just didn't know where he stood.

Sameer was yet to be found, and the chaos on the haveli lands was immense, yet instead of dealing with it all, here, he was attending a grand annual event that had been arranged by the government to honour several politicians and parties. 

Naina and her father were guests here.

With the bright chandeliers twirling in the air and smiles on so many faces, he tiredly ran his hands across his face and sighed as the crowd subtly parted, and he saw her...

His mouth little agape and his heartbeat racing so fast, he kept staring at the beauty. She was standing so tall, so confident, talking to some woman in a rather animated manner. The strength in her stance, the glow of her courage...she had grown up, blossomed without him. 

She was the most beautiful person in his life.

Guilts and regrets hit him hard. 

Feeling his throat dry up in an awestruck manner, he got up, taking slow yet dedicated steps towards her. It was a pull. He had no job, no status, yet he was willing to stand tall again for her: the woman who had stolen his heart a long time ago. 

He walked up to her, rubbing the nape of his neck in awkwardness while offering a guilty smile,  watching as she turned towards him with a happy smile and immediately put on a guarded facade.

The older woman, whom she had been talking to, looked quite impressed by his entry. 

"Zaroon Khan..." The woman greeted, yet his attention was solely on his woman who had now folded her arms in an emotion of indignation and had rolled her eyes to eye the ceiling, tilting her head away from him. 

"Naina, congratulations..." He offered a sincere and soft smile, running one hand through his hair, moving to tower over her. The sense of being there, being near, had consumed him. He wanted his wife to spare him a glance. To see her smile up at him...he needed that. 

She looked so heart-wrenchingly gorgeous today. 

It was torturous having her so near yet so far. 

He kept staring down at her, as the woman standing beside them, agreed in a happy tone. "Ah, yes...Naina did such an awesome job. The way she fought for justice was amazing. This young lady is remarkable." She praised.