Chapter Forty-Eight

After a brief rest, Normandy led Maebus, Kelm, and their group southward upon their horses. It was decided not to spend the night at the Northwest River after he advised that Legionaries may be looking for them. Travel by night may be safer. Having escorted them this far, he felt it appropriate to continue as their guide.

Completely bypassing Centre Pointe made the journey through the South Woods quicker. Barely a word was spoken by anyone as they moved swiftly toward the Hellish South Plains. Normandy assumed that recent revelations had left them all with little to say but much to contemplate.

It was mid-morning by the time they reached Maebus and Kelm's stone cottage. He was told that they personally designed it to secure the Council after the fall of the kingdom. Tying their horses a few yards away, they stayed within the woods and quietly inspected the perimeter. Normandy listened to the wind shimmy the leaves of the high tree branches, and the flapping of birds above their head. Aside from the forest's natural sounds, all seemed extremely still ... perhaps a bit too still.

The woodsman squatted behind a birch bush and signaled for the others to stay low. Pushing the branches out of his line of vision, he analyzed the cottage which sat no more than twenty yards away from them.

"I'm not quite sure where we are, but it doesn't seem like anyone's home," Leoden whispered while crawling forward. He laid on his belly next to Normandy.

"Looks can be deceiving," the woodsman warned as the others also inched closer.

"The Council has been in hiding here since the invasion. Perhaps they're avoiding unwanted attention," Kelm asked in a low voice.

Normandy didn't immediately respond. There was something unusual about the cottage. "No, I don't think so," he stated upon figuring it out. "Look!"

The others followed the direction of his pointed finger. The front door of the stone cottage appeared to be slightly ajar, with a large dent at the center of it.

"Looks like someone kicked it in," Maebus observed.

"Grab a weapon, and come on," Normandy said, reaching for a large stick. "I sense trouble."

The group rose to their feet. Fable picked up a rock from the ground. Leoden unsheathed his wood axe, Maebus his battle sword. Kelm rolled up the sleeves of his robe.

"I'll lead. Stay close," Normandy whispered.

Crouching low to the ground, he stepped cautiously from the bushes. He could hear the others following behind. Once making it clear to the front door, he pressed his back flat against the cottage wall. The others lined up with him. Slightly tilting his head, he peeked through the narrow opening, hoping to catch a glimpse of anything or anyone.

"Blast! It's too dark to see in there," he said.

Holding his stick in a striking position, he inched forward and carefully pushed open the door. It was surprisingly heavier than it looked, composed of solid metal. He rationed it would've taken a considerable amount of force to leave such a large dent in it.

Slowly, he poked his head through the doorway, praying not to have it lopped off. Another quick glance revealed the main living area to be empty. Creaking the door wide open, he stepped into the room, followed by Maebus, Kelm and the others.

• • • • •

Maebus entered the cottage's darkened interior after Normandy. "Kelm, can you give us some light?"

Instantly, he and the others were shielding their vision from the bright flame the Wizard produced within his palm.

"Oh no," Maebus exclaimed once his eyes adjusted to the light.