Chapter Forty-Six

"You're the boy from Cyperus Village," Maebus exclaimed. He stared at the youth who still had his axe slightly raised in the air.

"Uh ... yeah," the young warrior replied. He seemed very much in shock.

Normandy sat up from the ground and walked toward the prison bars. After running his gaze from the warrior's head to his feet, he said, "What's your name?"

"Oh, sorry. I'm Leoden." He reattached his axe to his belt and reached through the bars attempting to shake the tall man's hand. Normandy however did not comply.

"Leoden, how did you get here?" he asked instead. "In fact, how did you even know we were here?"

The Cyperan shook his head, "Sir, I don't even know where here is."

"Then why did you come?"

Maebus could hear the curiosity, amazement, and slight frustration in Normandy's tone.

"I ... I don't know. Well actually, I guess I was guided here ... kind of."

"By who? Who else is here with you?"

"Umm ... there's no one else here but me."

"You're not making sense!" Normandy groaned.

"Young man," Kelm began before Maebus could. "You are in the dungeon of the Realmsic Castle and—"

"The Realmsic Castle!" Leoden exclaimed. His eyes grew wide with disbelief.

"Yes, yes. I'm Grand Wizard Kelm, the Realmsic Advisor and—"

"The Realmsic Advisor!" Leoden blurted. "Sorry..."

"Uh-huh," Kelm continued. "The man you spoke with back at your village is King Maebus."

Leoden took a step back. "Whoa! Are you serious?"

"Very," Kelm's monotone voice was artificially calm. He inched closer to the bars that separated him and Leoden. "You've probably seen Normandy in your village at some point in the past," he pointed to the woodsman. "And Fable is a member of the Archival Order."

Maebus observed the young man's ears perk and his eyes dart back and forth as if trying to make sense of what he was hearing.

"What's going on here?" Leoden asked.

Maebus took a step forward. "There's no time to explain, but answers will come. Right now, we need your help. Can we count on you to help us escape?"

"Oh!" Leoden said, now focused on the long black bars that stretched from the ceiling to the floor. "Sorry, I hadn't noticed you all were imprisoned. I guess I'm still a bit in shock."

He then took a moment to examine the thickness of the prison bars. "I can try to get you out. But I don't think I'll be able to bend this iron."

"You don't have to," Kelm said. "If you can help free my arms and hands from this brace, then I can use my power to remove these prison bars."

"Sure. Anything!" Leoden said. "What do you need me to do?"

Kelm leaned his back against the metal, trying to soften the clank of the brace against the bars.

"These braces were magically forged to inhibit my powers. But Laymen must also be able to use them. See if there's a button or a switch anywhere on the back that will release its hold."

Leoden examined the brace. "There! I see it," he announced. "Lean closer to the bars so I can reach it."

Kelm pressed his back into the metal as far as he could. Leoden reached in and tapped the release button. Instantly, the brace snapped open and fell to the ground. Kelm exhaled and rubbed his swollen forearms and wrists. "Thank goodness," he said.