Chapter Forty-Three

"My Lordship, you wanted to see me?" General Thane asked Damian, standing at the threshold of the Warlord's personal chamber. It was the first time he'd seen it. Granted, Thane hadn't spent much time in the castle, but he could immediately tell that it was one of the abode's more comfortable living spaces.

Despite the room's openness, Damian typically never used more than what he needed. A single candle lit only a small area. The rest of the room remained in darkness.

"Please come in," Damian invited. "We have much to discuss." The Warlord, though inconceivably ruthless, was always cordial and polite. Thane, however, hesitated before entering the chamber, as it was awkward seeing Damian in a less formal environment.

"Sit," the Warlord ordered, pointing to a stool.

Thane obliged, squatting onto the seat, wondering to himself if he'd done anything wrong recently.

He doubted it. The most difficult tasks were routinely assigned to him, and not once had he ever failed. Unfortunately for Thane, such outstanding work was routinely rewarded with more work.

"I've read the reports of your journey to obtain the Realmsic Crystal," Damian said. "Outstanding, General. Simply outstanding!"

Thane allowed himself a brief smile. "The honor was mine, my Lord. Along with my tracking skills, you armed me with the knowledge needed to see through my enemy's deception. Without it, I wouldn't have succeeded."

Damian walked to a nearby desk and poured himself a glass of water. "Knowledge is perhaps the most dangerous weapon in the world, followed only by words." He took a quick sip before continuing. "As a General, you're well aware that battles are won by the army that possesses the best knowledge of their resources and their environment. My campaign against the Realmsic Kingdom was armed only with the knowledge of their own history, and look at how easily they crumbled."

"With the right information, there's nothing you can't accomplish," Thane agreed, fidgeting on the stool, unsure if it was the seat or being in the Warlord's personal chamber that made him uncomfortable.

"Yes!" Damian responded enthusiastically. "I couldn't agree with you more General, and I assure you, our next military campaign will be unlike anything ever conceived. Much of my thought has gone into the details of this next war, though I will look to you for help logistically planning."

"Me?" Thane asked in shock.

"Yes. You are remarkably resourceful, and you have an innate ability to understand situations better than anyone else I've known. It's those skills that I now require. For the task ahead will be our most challenging."

"I'd expect no less from the Lord of War," Thane began. "But I must admit that I don't understand what I can contribute. Literally and figuratively, you now sit in the seat of power. Not only do you control the kingdom of Centre Pointe, you dominate both the Magical and Layman nations. The total sum of the known world is yours to command. What else is there to conquer?"

Damian's grin was broad and sinister. "Have you ever traveled beyond the known world?"

Thane suddenly gasped, "You mean the Uncharted Lands!" His tone was barely above a whisper.

"I take it no?"

What are you, crazy!?! Of course not! But he didn't say those words. Throughout his life, he'd heard endless stories about the world beyond the Realm—all of them horrible.

Most people speculated that the Uncharted Lands were far worse than even the fabled Realm of Terror. Some believed that it was home to monsters and demons, for humans never dwelled there. Others had declared that there was actually nothing beyond the known world, only an endless abyss. Those venturing too far would fall off the edge of the world, plunging for eternity. No one in their right mind would be so bold as to willingly march into such treachery.

"Oh, no..." Thane furiously shook his furry head. "My Lord, surely you don't—"

"Yes!" Damian laughed. "Surely I do."

Thane's eyes hardened as he observed his mannerisms for any indication that this was a joke. Granted, it wasn't Thane's place to question the Warlord. His duty was simply to perform as commanded. But as a soldier, he expected his Commander to be considerate of his men's abilities, to not fling them into the fires of hell with blatant disregard. Was this really the result of his loyalty? Was Seku right?

"My Lord, you know I'd follow you into the jaws of death. Your men, without question, would sacrifice all for you," Thane gestured expressively with his hands. "But this time, I implore you to reconsider what you're asking us to do; where you're asking us to go." He locked onto Damian's cold eyes. "With respect, my Lord, I fear that this time you may be asking too much of us."

"Really, General? I ask too much?"

"I mean no disrespect."

"I care not what you mean," Damian said sharply. "But your reaction is to be expected."

Thane exhaled. His shoulders slumped while relaxing his hands in his lap.

"You may think that I ask the impossible of you. But in the beginning, when I said we would conquer the only magical kingdom in existence, was I not then asking the impossible? Yet, here we stand."

Thane pressed a hand flatly against the breastplate of his Legionarie armor. "My Lord, it's one thing to fight against Wizards and other Magicals, for those things we understand. But to send us willingly into the Uncharted Lands is to send us head-on into the realm of nightmares. Who knows what we'll find, or what terrors await us."

"I know exactly what awaits us," Damian retorted.

Thane's head jerked backwards at hearing such a preposterous comment. No one knew what was beyond the Realm.

Damian continued, "I know of the legends, the myths, the rumors, and I assure you, General, that all you've ever heard about the Uncharted Lands has been pure speculation. What's truly known about the world beyond has remained a guarded secret for years. Confidentially guarded, in fact, by the Realmsic Council itself!"

"What?" Thane exclaimed.

Damian reached back towards the desk and once again grabbed his glass of water. "You may think me foolish, but I know of this secret. I've seen it with my own eyes. And now, I'm willing to share it with you."

--------------------------------------------

HELLO READERS!!! PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT REALMSIC

And... Please-Please-Please take just a moment review it on either Amazon, or Goodreads. This would be HUGELY helpful and the links are below! Thank you so much!!! :)

Review on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1kE7re0

Review on Goodreads: http://bit.ly/HOLreviewbook

The links can be copied and pasted from the Table of Contents page.