Chapter Forty-One

The Warlord Damian stood at his usual spot in front of the Realmsic map, envisioning what the world would look like under his complete dominance. His back was turned to the main entrance of the Great Hall, yet he sensed the energy of General Thane long before he heard the stomping of his heavy feet and the chains of his prisoners. Damian didn't flinch when they stopped at the door. With his mind already focused on the next phase of his plans, he didn't even acknowledge their presence until Thane finally spoke.

"My Lordship," the General said. "I've returned."

Damian kept his back to them. "Come forward," he ordered.

Thane entered cautiously. Behind him, his prisoners were led in. He bowed before the Warlord, extending the crystal above his head for Damian's acceptance.

"For your dominance," he said.

Damian turned and gazed at the crystal, which sparkled with power. Never in his life had he felt such a concentration of energy. His body felt electrified as he stood near it. The experience was everything he imagined it would be, yet was unlike anything he ever knew. He dared not touch it just yet, in fear that this was all a dream, and the object would vanish before his eyes.

Damian had waited so long for this moment. He wanted to prolong the anticipation and savor the pleasure for as long as he could. Finally, he gave in to the urge. Reaching for it, he placed the crystal and its chain around his neck, and instantly felt its bond. The Realmsic within himself seemed endless. He turned around once again and resumed analyzing the world map.

Thane rose to his feet. "Also, I present to you the Realmsic King and his Grand Wizard Advisor!"

Damian's back remained turned as Maebus and Kelm were separated from their companions.

"Prisoners, bow before the Warlord," Thane commanded.

Damian slightly turned his head. From his peripheral vision, he saw that neither Maebus nor Kelm so much as flinched.

Thane's gruff beard heaved as he expelled long breaths of air. "Prisoners! Bow before your superior," he bellowed, stepping closer so that he towered over them.

Both men remained unmoved.

"No, no, General," Damian finally said. "Bowing won't be necessary. Their fleeing the kingdom and hiding in obscurity was submission enough."

With a quick pivot of his feet, Damian's entire body shifted to face them. His dark eyes took in the pitiful image of his captives: an extremely tall woodsman, an Archivist, a Wizard, and a King.

"How awkward is this for you, Maebus?" Damian asked. He pointed to the throne residing at the Council table not far from where they all stood, the throne that used to be Maebus'.

"You sat in that very seat, at the head of the Realmsic Kingdom, and now you stand before it as my prisoner. How does it affect your mind to feel the familiarity, perhaps even the comfort of your old surroundings, and yet the alienation and the uncertainty of your circumstance?"

Damian took a deliberate step closer to him. The Realmsic Crystal hung from his neck, in reaching distance of the King, had his arms not been bound.

"Does it enrage you to be so close to the one thing you tried so desperately to protect, only to have it just beyond your grasp? Does it infuriate you to have the authority to command everything, yet the ability to control nothing—not even your own arms, which have been bound by my power?"

Maebus looked directly into his eyes. "Your taunting doesn't affect me."

Damian disliked the word taunt. Never did he want to appear petty. "My questions are not to ... taunt you," he said sincerely. "I'm simply trying to understand the mind of the man." He slowly circled Maebus and Kelm. "You are a unique specimen; selfless and loyal, but to a fault. And you, Grand Wizard, are just as much an anomaly to me. Perhaps single handedly, you're the most powerful source of magic, outside of the Realmsic Crystal. Your ability far exceeds that of other Wizards. Yet you chose to advise? Your mild mannerisms are perplexing."

"Just kill me and let my friends go," Maebus demanded.

"In due time," he responded. "But a martyr you will not become."

The Warlord opened his hands and, using the power of the crystal, briefly created a sequence of events within his palms. The magical images appeared as wispy illuminations forming the places and faces he spoke of.

"You reluctantly became the Realmsic King, rising above those who would not accept such responsibility," Damian said, as his captives watched the story unfold before their eyes.

"The Realmsic people embraced you. Yet, at the most critical point in history, you abandoned them. Night after night, they cried for you. They begged for you to save them, and you hid. Their cries went unheard. They were tormented, they suffered, and they blame you. I alone have ceased their pain."

With a flick of his hand, the images disappeared.

"You alone caused their pain," Maebus said.

"No difference. Either way, they'll applaud your execution with the same enthusiasm as I." His gaze shifted to Thane. "Take them away."

Thane pointed toward the prisoners, and his guards quickly rounded them all up by their chains. Kelm struggled as they were being forced out of the Great Hall. Twisting his neck to look back, he shouted at Damian, "Your plans will fail! You can't use the crystal as a weapon!"

"Stop!" Damian said, bringing everyone to a halt, their chains rattling briefly.

Kelm turned to face him and continued. "You of all people should know how unstable the crystal can be. Every recorded instance of it being weaponized has led to tragic consequences. If you use it in that manner, you'll be dooming us all, including yourself, to certain death!"

Damian approached. "You're absolutely right, Grand Wizard. The crystal is unstable. But what you fail to realize is that I don't need to use it as a weapon. I am the ultimate weapon! The crystal will only enhance my abilities, until I'm able to crack its mysteries and fully utilize its power."

Kelm's vacant expression annoyed him. "Do you not understand?" His harsh tone echoed the chamber. "By possessing the only thing that could've possibly defeated me, I am unstoppable." With that, he walked back toward the Realmsic map. He then heard the General shoving them out of the room.

"To the dungeon with you lugs," Thane said.

"Welcome home," Damian added. 

--------------------------------------------

HELLO READERS!!! PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT REALMSIC

And... Please-Please-Please take just a moment review it on either Amazon, or Goodreads. This would be HUGELY helpful and the links are below! Thank you so much!!! :)

Review on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1kE7re0

Review on Goodreads: http://bit.ly/HOLreviewbook

The links can be copied and pasted from the Table of Contents page.