Chapter Thirty-Four

The sacred temple lay shrouded in a dense mist. Its appearance reminded Maebus very much of the Realmsic Castle, with its worn exterior and pointed steeple. Dust rose briskly into the air as Kelm pushed open the temple's doors. They entered cautiously, staying close and scanning their surroundings. Aside from the multiple rows of pillars that supported the temple's high ceilings, the stone interior was dark, faded, and empty.

A light appeared in the darkness before them. They halted, watching. The illuminated form of a woman suddenly appeared. Standing about average height, Maebus could tell she was older than he, and extremely thin. She wore a long green-colored dress that flowed elegantly to her feet. Around her neck, she wore a golden medallion that displayed the Archival Symbol of Order. Her face was old, but not wrinkled, and her curly, silver hair reached down just beneath her shoulders. The woman's green eyes appeared wide and deep with wisdom.

Kelm took a step forward. "Held, Archivist Fable," he said, bowing slightly with his hands clasped in front of him.

"Held, Grand Wizard Kelm," Fable replied, also returning the gesture. Her speech was deliberately slow, and her tone was soft yet commanding. "It's been quite some time since your last visit, yet I sensed your return. It's good to see you! I've missed you, my friend."

She hugged him, rubbing his back. Kelm beamed boyishly.

"I wish my visit could be under better circumstances, but I'm afraid that's not the case," he said.

"Yes, these are dark times ... dark times indeed," Fable affirmed, rubbing her forearm in contemplation.

"With me, I have King Maebus," Kelm presented him with an uplifted hand, "And this is the woodsman Normandy. It was his skill and guidance that brought us here this day."

"Held, woodsman Normandy," Fable bowed. "Your guidance is most appreciated, and I believe your skill will continue to bless us during the struggles of our Realm."

Fable turned to face Maebus. "And held, Realmsic King! I've followed your life very closely, and have documented your rise to the throne. It has been ... a most fascinating tale," she bowed.

"Thank you," he returned the gesture.

"As you may already know, I'm Fable, and this is the Temple of Learning, the origin of the sacred Archival Order."

Maebus looked around. Although the floor illuminated directly beneath where they currently stood, the rest of the room was darkened.

"Are you sure?" he asked, assuming there would at least be a few books lying around, instead of just empty space.

"Ha, ha," Fable's gaze pointed downward. "Beneath this temple is the largest collection of knowledge ever gathered. Its contents date back thousands of years to the ancient Wizard Holdings, which was the first collection of books established by the primordial First Wizards. It was from here that the Annals of other towns originated."

Fable nodded for the group to follow her. The floor's magical illumination followed Fable's steps as she began leading them through the darkness of the temple. Normandy, however, refused to move.

"Are you okay, big guy?" Kelm asked.

The woodsman stood stiff as a tree, as if his own feet were paralyzed. "Just give me a moment," he exclaimed. "I wasn't prepared for the floor to light up our every step. Certain types of magic make me nervous."

"Please don't be alarmed," Fable said. "The lighted walkway is symbolic. An Archivist's duty is to illuminate the path of knowledge for those needing guidance. Only the feet of those truly seeking enlightenment will illuminate. Those with ill intentions, however, remain shrouded in darkness."