SIXTEEN

For the last couple of days, Jesse and I have been almost inseparable

For the last couple of days, Jesse and I have been almost inseparable. I forgot just how fun it is to be around him and now that we're adults we spend even more time together now than we did back then.

Although I've been around Jesse, I also make sure to prioritize Carter much to Jesse's dismay even though this arrangement was his idea.

When Jesse got released, I thought that he was more or less stuck in the past. Trying to hold on to what we once were with no actual interest in us moving forward in our relationship as he continues to do all the same activities that got him arrested in the first place.

For him to actually give up everything his father built all for me said a lot. I couldn't ignore him anymore when he told me how he was willing to build a future with me which was all I've wanted.

I feel even more confident about re-introducing him to my parents after all of that because that was exactly what I needed from him. I needed that stability. I needed him to want me the same way that I wanted him.

All the sexual innuendos and jokes he made had me wary at first because I thought that was all he wanted from me.

But he has a great business venture on his hands that kind of fell into his lap, his words not mine. He'd be crazy to put that in jeopardy and I'm glad he's being smart with his money and I'm eager to see what he does with the expansion that he's been planning on doing.

I was just getting out of a meeting when I walked past Leslie's desk to see she was smiling at her phone, sitting on top of her desk, I cross my legs one over the other as I look down at her where she sits in her chair.

"Leslie?" I say to her narrowing my eyes trying to see the screen to see who's she's texting but of course, she had to get one of those dark ass screen protectors that hide your screen. She continues to giggle as she types back a message.

I move my hand closer to her tap her shoulder and she looks up at me doing a double-take looking from her phone to my eyes and back to her phone in alarm, "Oh Hey." she says dropping her phone, turning it off, and pushing it to the side, "I was just--"

"Giggling at your phone." I laugh, "Ok. Come out with it." I grin leaning closer to her, "Who is she?"

Her jaw drops and she lets out a gasp, "Do you really think that women are my only source of happiness?"

"Well the only other time you laugh like that is probably when the food you ordered comes in on time." she scoffs at that

Shaking her head with a smile, slowly spreading on her face, "Fine. Yes. There is someone." she claps her hands excitedly and takes one hand to smooth out the top of her head, running her fingers through the end of her ponytail, "A very special someone."

If you asked me to describe Leslie I would say she is the perfect mix of Justine and Paola. She's not afraid to call people out, she cracks jokes 24/7 and she has some serious attitude, like Justine. And similar to Paola, Leslie is very frilly and girly. She has a bold personality just like both of them.

Because her personality is so bold, she's had trouble meeting people because whoever she's been with in the past has never been able to handle her simply because she... tends to be a lot.

"Her name is Sidney." she smiles drumming her fingers against the desk the sound of her acrylics being heard as she pulls her phone out again and goes to her camera roll, "I'll show you a picture."

When she pulls up the picture she shows me a beautiful girl with caramel-toned skin. Her hair is short and black, it just reaches her shoulders. A pair of dark frames over her eyes and a half sleeve of tattoos on her arm.

I look up from the phone to see Leslie biting her lip and grinning at the phone, as she stares at the picture and I 'aw' at her causing her to look up at me and roll her eyes shutting off her phone, "She's really pretty." I tell her, "I can't believe you pulled her." I joke

She laughs shyly, "If anything she pulled me, please." she flips her ponytail over her shoulder and laughs jokingly, "No, but really, I don't wanna mess it up this time. The last thing I want for myself is to ruin this for myself and then realize that she's the one that got away and then have to actively try to get her back not knowing whether or not she would even want me the same and---" she looks back up at me as I narrow my eyes down at her.

"My bad." she grins awkwardly looking down at her phone and I let out a laugh telling her she's okay.

"Speaking of the one that got away, how's my new buddy?" she smirks at me, "Or should I say your new fuck budd--"

"Hey ladies," Carter says to us, interrupting our conversation. As he walks closer to us, looking fine as ever. My eyes scan him up & down to see he's wearing black jeans and a white buttoned-up shirt. A simple outfit but he pulls it off so well.

I smile widely when I see him, he opens his arms widely, pulling me into a hug as I'm still sitting on Leslie's desk. My head rests on his chest as his scent invades my nostrils with the cologne he's wearing. He places a kiss on the top of my head before he pulls away.

Keeping a close distance he looks at Leslie and me, "Have you heard?" he says to me, and Leslie and I look at each other and shake our heads

"Heard what?" Leslie asks

"The Oscars are on Sunday and guess who invited certain members of the staff to their afterparty?"

"If Karma was invited, is it Brad Pitt?" Leslie snorts as she jokes around and I shake my head. The man kissed my hand one time. It really wasn't that deep.

"Sadly no." Carter laughs at the look on my face, "Nicholas Hiddleston." he says and I gasp, "His team offered the magazine an exclusive opportunity to shoot the pictures for his wife's maternity photos. It's a promotion for his new movie."

I raise an eyebrow, "His wife is pregnant?" I ask and he nods

"You know that, I know that, and Leslie knows that but the rest of the world doesn't" Our magazine hasn't had an important exclusive like that in a long time. It's a great opportunity.

"Sunday!" I groan, "Now I have to find something to wear." I look at Leslie and she laughs telling me she'd be happy to help

Carter grasps my hand and pulls me off of Leslie's desk to stand in front of him, he grasps my hips with both hands and pulls me closer, "At least you don't have to look for a date." he grins

I tilt my head to the side, "Oh! Do you have any suggestions?" I ask jokingly and he throws his head back in a laugh as a smirk rests on my lips

"His name rhymes with 'smarter'," he says to me resting his forehead on mine as we hear Leslie pretending to gag next to us

"Nope. It's not ringing any bells." I say, he rolls his eyes and leans down to place a kiss on my cheek and the corner of my lips before pulling away from me entirely and backing away from Leslie and me slowly

"Don't forget to tell me what color you're wearing. I wanna dress accordingly." he smiles widely giving us both a small wave and throwing a wink in my direction, turning around fully to head back to his office.

"Damn." Leslie says when he's no longer within earshot, "You and Jesse are some bold motherfuckers I'll tell you that much, whew." she nods her head, "But I'm lowkey living for it." she says again before opening her phone and texting her girl back.

-------------------------------------------

[A/N] They're so cute it kinda makes me sick lmaoaoaoao but I'm def with Leslie on this one!

BTW THE FIRST BOOK JUST REACHED 100k ANSLMXLXMMCMC still shook about it Thank you for reading ❤️❤️