Marijuana High

╭                                          ••• ╮
B.I Controversy
╰ •••                                          ╯

The Korean entertainment industry was rocked with another scandal

The Korean entertainment industry was rocked with another scandal. This time it involved the former leader of popular boy group, iKON's B.I and YG Entertainment. Implicated in the situation were WINNER's Lee Seung-Hoon and Han Seo-Hee. Han was believed to be a former trainee at YG Entertainment, though the agency made a statement earlier this week denouncing that Han was ever a trainee under them.

The crux of the controversy lay with South Korean media outlet, Dispatch, which is well-known locally for celebrity exposés and gossip, along with investigative journalism. Dispatch wrote a report that ultimately accused B.I for allegedly attempting to purchase drugs.

Since then, more reports have surfaced and several major repercussions have occurred, including the resignation of Yang Hyun-Suk, founder of YG Entertainment.

The following is the complete timeline of the aforementioned controversy for easy reference.

12 June: Dispatch released an exclusive report that accused B.I of attempting to purchase drugs, specifically marijuana and LSD. The report included a text conversation that allegedly transpired between B.I and person "A", who was presented to be the proxy between B.I and the dealer. This conversation was reported to have occurred on April 2016.

In the alleged text conversation, B.I seemed curious about the effects of LSD asking "A", "But when you take [LSD] does it do that? Seeing things like graphics and seeing illusions and everything?". He then proceeded to negotiate a bulk purchase of 10  tabs or one million won's worth.

B.I reportedly also texted, "I'm asking you since I've taken some with you," referring to "A". This implied that the idol had reputedly taken drugs before.

In the article, Dispatch also accused YG Entertainment of getting involved when "A" was caught by the police in August 2016. Dispatch claimed that YG Entertainment provided "A" with attorneys and asked "A" to change their testimony to the police so as to not involve B.I.

12 June: Hours after the Dispatch article was published, B.I took to Instagram to announce his departure from the K-pop group, iKON as well as his agency, YG Entertainment. In his statement, he said, "It is true that I wanted to rely on something that I shouldn't have had any interest in due to going through a hard and painful time. However, I was too scared and fearful to do it."

His statement suggests that B.I inquired about drugs but did not go through with the purchase.

12 June: After B.I made his statement on his Instagram account, YG Entertainment went on to confirm his departure from the company. In their statement, YG Entertainment said, "We bow our heads and apologize for disappointing everyone with our artist Kim Han-Bin's problem. Kim Han-Bin is feeling heavy responsibility due to the impact of this matter. Taking the matter seriously, he has decided to leave the team and terminate his exclusive contract."