𝐀 𝐑𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞

☕︎

☕︎

They began the steep climb, and the road grew congested. As they wound higher, the cars became too close together for Alice to weave insanely between them anymore. The clock dash also seemed to be speeding up.

The sun beamed down brilliantly, seeming already overhead. Eleanora drummed her fingers on her thigh, impatient, ready to rip the cars apart from how slow it was. But then they came around a switchback, and they could see the filled parking lot outside of the city wall, the crowds of people walking through the gates. No one was being allowed to drive through, making Eleanora purse her lips in irritation.

Alice's face was chiseled from ice. It was very windy out, as Eleanora blinked, a lazy gaze set on her face, seeming as she was calm. But there is a saying, the calm before the storm. An eyesore red was everywhere. So crimson, so sickening. It was too red. Clothes. Flags. Even cars.

They weren't even near Palazzo dei Priori. Eleanora sighed in frustration. "Oh. Damn this. I'm using my legs." she concluded and swung the door open. She waved goodbye to Alice and slammed the door shut, almost smashing the window into pieces.

She ran up the sidewalk, crisscrossing people, bumping into them sometimes, apologizing here and there before continuing. Her shoes didn't make contact with the pavement, seeming as she was floating. It looked like she was steaming up as she dashed past people in human speed.

Her hair whipped around, smacking her face here and there. She was stopped by bodies pressed together, watching the festival. She grunted in irritation before pushing past them quickly, almost flinging two to a wall nearby and almost knocking people down over like a domino effect.

She made it to a fountain in the center and jumped into the water, swiftly running against it, but she didn't care. She needed to save someone she held dear to her heart. She used the small wall of the fountain as a boost and flung into the crowd, the people paving way to her, cautiously.

Even when people threw insults and complaints, she disregarded them and kept going. People avoided her now, feeling temperature radiating off of something. She saw Edward, who was being ushered out of the door, chest and arms exposed, as the sun breached it's peak.

She used her real speed this time and slammed into Edward. They tumbled in with a grunt, as they made contact with rocky flooring. She sighed and sat up.

"I think we need a talk, gentlemen." she said, in a sickly calm voice. She was really serious. Edward grunted as he sat up as well, not hesitating to pull the girl in a tight hug, relief washing over him.

Behind him, she was glaring at two men. No, vampires. "Shall we take this conversation to a more appropriate venue?" one smooth voice whispered menacingly.

Eleanora's glare didn't waver as both lovers stood up. "That would be nice." she gritted out, voice tight.

Alice walked in calmly. "Let's behave ourselves, shall we?" her lilting voice suggested. "There are ladies present."

The two males looked like they were pounce onto her, but Alice had to prevent that. Another presence joined, making Edward sigh in recognition and resignation. "Jane."

Just a minute ago, he was being pushed into the sunlight and the people who saw him, would face consequences, death. The brutality at it's simplest.

Alice was impassive. "Follow me." Jane spoke again, monotone. They alk followed, Edward holding an arm around his rose's waist. She had ran from the bottom of a hill to where he was. They all entered an elevator, the doors closing behind them.

Jane pressed a button before the elevator dropped down deeper underground. Eleanora pursed her lips as they stepped out and into a hallway with a door at the end. Edward held her hand, missing her warmth he craved so much over the days he wasn't able to visit.

They suddenly stopped in front of the door, as Jane looked at them, before opening it.

☕︎